Can You Refrigerate A Fondant Cake??

Decorating By SweetCakesbyAmy Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 10:33am by DeniseNH

SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #1 of 5

I have a cake due next Sunday but I want to finish it Friday. It will have a strawberry filling, buttercream icing and be covered in homemade fondant. Someone once told me I can refridgerate it if I put a cup of baking soda in with it??? please help!

4 replies
DeniseNH Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:35am
post #2 of 5

What the heck is the baking soda for? The only thing baking soda does is to deodorize your refrigerator so that your fondant won't taste like yesterday's pizza. I put fondant cakes in the fridge all the time - but the only negative is that when it comes out of the fridge it sweats or glistens but after a few hours - as the cake equalizes with room temps, the glisten slowly goes away. My main concern is the strawberries. If they're fresh you may end up with a mushy filling. They degrade quickly.

SweetCakesbyAmy Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:26am
post #3 of 5

Someone said that the baking soda absorbed the moisture....i dont know as I have never tried it! sounded kinda wierd to me as well! LOL The Strawberry filling is going to be a simple canned strawberry preserve.

For a small 3 tier cake (6', 8', and 10') how long do you think i would need to have it out for it to become "unsticky"

mom2twogrlz Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:41am
post #4 of 5

I have one in the fridge right now. When I take them out I try to put them under a ceiling fan, it helps whisk away the moisture so it come to temp dry. That way it only takes a hour or so. Just don't touch it too much while it is moist and you will be fine.

DeniseNH Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:33am
post #5 of 5

Up here in New England on a dry day it might take a couple hours, but down south or in a humid climate, - a lot longer. A fan is a great idea, as long as the air in the room isn't dusty - or has pet hair in it - that can be blown onto the sticky surface of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%