Raspberry Jam Filling Alternate

Decorating By RedRoxx Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 12:19am by HappyCake10609

RedRoxx Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

So, I just got back from the store for things to make a raspberry lemonade cake that I originally wanted to fill with raspberry jam. I forgot to pick up the jam. >.<

Any ideas of alternate to fill this with besides plain old frosting?

I don't have a ton to work with at home, but most of your basics

8 replies
DeniseNH Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 9

There's not much you can do other than to add raspberry flavoring to icing with a dot of pink to bump up the color. If you don't have raspberry flavoring to add to the buttercream, disolve raspberry jello in a little hot water then add to the buttercream, if you don't have raspberry jello.........................??????????????? Drizzle some raspberrybrandy into the icing.

RedRoxx Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:42am
post #3 of 9

I do have fresh raspberries, would just smooching them up work? there's no gelatin to them.......huummmm

HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 9

To make my strawberry buttercream, I simmer the berries in a little bit of water with a tbsp or so of sugar to make a strawberry syrup. Then I push it through a sieve to get the seeds and pulp out and add my syrup to vanilla buttercream (when it's cooled). Maybe you could do something like that with the raspberries?

bcarb Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:20am
post #5 of 9

Lemon curd?

RedRoxx Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:25am
post #6 of 9

I seriously want to do this!! But.....no strainer. :/ ugh.

HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoxx

I seriously want to do this!! But.....no strainer. :/ ugh.

You could try to just puree the mixture. You'd still have seeds and pulp, but pureeing would make it smoother. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it would react differently to the buttercream. But if you are up for experimenting, why not give it a try?! And let me know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9

I would have cooked it up with a bit of cornstarch and sugar to bind the raspberries a bit, I'd be too worried otherwise that they would completely mush up the cake underneath

HappyCake10609 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:19am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

I would have cooked it up with a bit of cornstarch and sugar to bind the raspberries a bit, I'd be too worried otherwise that they would completely mush up the cake underneath

I fold my syrup into buttercream to make a flavored buttercream. If I was using it as just a fruit filling I would absolutely use a thickener too! I'm sorry if my suggestion was unclear icon_smile.gif

I have used this recipe as a fruit filling http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16399/fresh-strawberry-filling-2 it was really yummy! It would work well with raspberries too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%