Raspberry Jam Filling Alternate

Decorating By RedRoxx Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 12:19am by HappyCake10609

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

So, I just got back from the store for things to make a raspberry lemonade cake that I originally wanted to fill with raspberry jam. I forgot to pick up the jam. >.<

Any ideas of alternate to fill this with besides plain old frosting?

I don't have a ton to work with at home, but most of your basics

8 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:31am
post #2 of 9

There's not much you can do other than to add raspberry flavoring to icing with a dot of pink to bump up the color. If you don't have raspberry flavoring to add to the buttercream, disolve raspberry jello in a little hot water then add to the buttercream, if you don't have raspberry jello.........................??????????????? Drizzle some raspberrybrandy into the icing.

RedRoxx Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:42am
post #3 of 9

I do have fresh raspberries, would just smooching them up work? there's no gelatin to them.......huummmm

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 9

To make my strawberry buttercream, I simmer the berries in a little bit of water with a tbsp or so of sugar to make a strawberry syrup. Then I push it through a sieve to get the seeds and pulp out and add my syrup to vanilla buttercream (when it's cooled). Maybe you could do something like that with the raspberries?

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:20am
post #5 of 9

Lemon curd?

RedRoxx Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:25am
post #6 of 9

I seriously want to do this!! But.....no strainer. :/ ugh.

HappyCake10609 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoxx

I seriously want to do this!! But.....no strainer. :/ ugh.

You could try to just puree the mixture. You'd still have seeds and pulp, but pureeing would make it smoother. I've never tried it, so I don't know if it would react differently to the buttercream. But if you are up for experimenting, why not give it a try?! And let me know how it turns out icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9

I would have cooked it up with a bit of cornstarch and sugar to bind the raspberries a bit, I'd be too worried otherwise that they would completely mush up the cake underneath

HappyCake10609 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 12:19am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

I would have cooked it up with a bit of cornstarch and sugar to bind the raspberries a bit, I'd be too worried otherwise that they would completely mush up the cake underneath

I fold my syrup into buttercream to make a flavored buttercream. If I was using it as just a fruit filling I would absolutely use a thickener too! I'm sorry if my suggestion was unclear icon_smile.gif

I have used this recipe as a fruit filling http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16399/fresh-strawberry-filling-2 it was really yummy! It would work well with raspberries too icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%