Boxes For Tiered Cakes

Decorating By Ummeiko Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 2:40pm by Pagea

Ummeiko Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have any good places to get boxes for cakes? I've gotten a few requests from friends for 2 tiered cakes (8" - 6"). Hobby Lobby and Michaels sell boxes for sheet cakes but nothing tall enough. I'm thinking 10"x10"x10" or so, and sturdy enough to hold a 2-tier fondant cake, fully decorated.

I'm not a business, just making cakes for friends/relatives in my spare time, so I'm hoping to avoid distribution places that are geared towards bakeries and have you buy in massive quantities. I live in Omaha, if that helps, and there is a local-ish business I don't know about.

Any secret tips out there?

3 replies
labmom Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 4

as seen on many of the cake shows, they use cardboard boxes and those you can purchase at walart or any package store like ups/kinkos and then they open the side.. slide the cakes in and carry it that way.
Ihave done this with a three tier.. on a very stormy day to keep the cake dry
Just make sure you put some of that non stick shelf liner or foam down on the bottom to keep the cake from sliding around the box.

I know most cake and candy shops have boxes that go up to 16 inches but the height is only like 5 inches. if you didn't mind that the lid didn't close you could get a 10/12 inch box... thenjust prop the lid.

good luck ..

genevieveyum Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:24am
post #3 of 4

I use the boxes that reams of copy paper come in- they're really sturdy.

Pagea Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 4

You may want to take a look at the link for staples (posted below). There are various sizes available.

http://www.staples.com/14%28L%29-x-14%28W%29-x-14%28H%29-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes-5-Pack/product_815599?cmArea=SEARCH

HTH..Page

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%