Shipping!?!?

Baking By deveina Updated 6 May 2011 , 3:25pm by lspdolphin

deveina Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 10

I am a mom who loves to bake, recently I made a cupcake bouquet and loved it. After I thought it would be the best mothers day gift for my mother in law..... Who lives in Florida and I live in California. So my question is, is it possible to ship home made cupcakes and buttercream safely? And how do I go about it? [code:1:7db073725d][/code:1:7db073725d]

9 replies
nancyg Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 10

I know Dean and Deluca shops cakes...I see them on their site. But, for the life of me I dont know. Tempted to order on to see how they ship

Sorry I cant help

scp1127 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:22am
post #3 of 10

If it needs refrigeration, it must be packed in dry ice and overnighted. That is how online bakeries do it.

CupQuequito Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:30am
post #4 of 10

Priiiiiiiicey! I've been trying to ship for a few months, and gave up hope. Just to ship from AZ to San Diego, was going to be $50.

I did however, stop at the USPO, and picked up their Priority boxes, (the ones in the commercials) and Monday will be the first of cups to get shipped to my Guinea Pigs >.<

FYI: I don't use dairy, so I don't have to worry about overnighting anything. That was $80 from AZ to FL. pfft! lol

Elaine2581 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 10

I would think it might be hard but not impossible to send a cupcake bouquet. I've shipped two cakes via UPS. One was an 8" round and the other a 9x13". Both had non-dairy buttercream and were two layers. I lined my cardboard boxes with one-inch styrofoam and used boxes taller than the cakes so that I could add dry ice below the cakes. I froze the cakes, wrapped them in wax paper and plastic wrap and then placed them in the boxes. I live in GA and one was sent to a granddaughter in PA and the other to a granddaughter in WV. They were both taken off trucks about 5 times and shipped over two nights but both were still cold but not frozen and looked great. It is a lot of extra work and both cost about $30 so you just have to consider all that. Hope that helps.

nancyg Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #6 of 10

Elaline, How did you pkg them so they did not get smashed by hitting the sides of the box. And what if the box got turned upside down. What prevents roughness to keep them from bumping around???

Sorr y, probably silly questions...but I know you need to keep them cold...but from there I am lost.

Sounds like you know the routine. Give me some more details

Thanks

nancyg Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #7 of 10

Elaline, How did you pkg them so they did not get smashed by hitting the sides of the box. And what if the box got turned upside down. What prevents roughness to keep them from bumping around???

Sorr y, probably silly questions...but I know you need to keep them cold...but from there I am lost.

Sounds like you know the routine. Give me some more details

Thanks

deveina Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:34am
post #8 of 10

thanks for the tips Elaine! How would you keep the cupcakes together and covered?

Elaine2581 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 10

I'm not an expert on shipping but was just trying to describe my past experiences. There is a tutorial on the home page about packaging and shipping cookie bouquets. You might be able to use some of those tips. I think that freezing the cupcakes would help them stay together better and then if you could wrap each one in plastic wrap or but a cellophane bag over each and then follow the tips in the tutorial. I'm not sure about using the shrink wrap because of the possiblity of the heat melting the frosting.
There is no way to insure that the box won't get turned upside down but I did print arrows and signs identifying the package as cake in hopes that someone would notice and be a bit more careful. The styrofoam lid almost touched the top of the cake so that if it was turned upside down it could not move much. I also put just a small amount of buttercream on the cakeboard before placing the cake on it to help keep it in place. Let me know if anyone needs more clarification.

lspdolphin Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 10

Elaine,

Sorry for another question on packaging but how did you wrap your cakes with wax paper and plastic wrap without messing up the decorations? I'm getting ready to ship an 8" cake covered with buttercream flowers from FL to CA and very weary of the process.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%