Storing A Buttercream Frosted Caked With A Fondant Cakeboard

Decorating By punkin90 Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 11:54pm by punkin90

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 6

Help please. I making a cake for my daughter's bridal shower. She does not like a cake covered in fondant. I want to make her a cake with buttercream icing and use a Wilton imprint mat and cover the cakeboard.
I am not sure how to store the cake. I plan on making it 2 days before the shower date. Can anyone help? icon_surprised.gif

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:29am
post #2 of 6

If it has no perishable fillings (fresh fruit, pastry cream, whipped cream) just leave it out. If you're worried about dust or other contamination, you can put it in a cardboard box, but refrigeration isn't necessary either for the buttercream or the fondant.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 6

I cover most of my boards with fondant decoration and almost all of my cakes are buttercream with fondant decorations. Most of my customers do not like filling- so I leave my cakes out in a cool a/c room till delivery- never had a problem. icon_smile.gif

punkin90 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:43am
post #4 of 6

Will the cake "dry out" ? I have left cakes out of the fridge before and the buttercream taste a little stale. Also, I am decorating the cake and then taking it to the shower. So I will be carrying it about 10 miles. The cake is white buttercream with black scroll pattern. Would it be better to do the scroll in royal icing? I am worried about the black scroll running into the buttercream but I don't want the royal to "crack" from all of the packing and transportation.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 6

It would be a good idea to do the scrolling the same day of the shower, because the longer you leave black icing sitting the higher the chances of it bleeding into the white icing around it, but this usually takes about 2 or 3 days to start happening. As for the cake drying out, that's what the fondant/buttercream covering is for. An iced cake is just like a cake that's been stored in an airtight box - it won't lose its moisture, and especially not in just 2 days. In order to insure that the royal won't crack in transport, there are a few things you can do to help with that. One is to put the cake on a very firm base. Another is to transport the cake on a totally horizontal surface, like the trunk of your car or the back of a station wagon, but not on a car seat, which normally is inclined. Also put some kind of non-skid material under the base of the cake - there are several things that will do the trick that you can get at the hardware store or places like Home Depot. And last, but not least, make sure that whoever carries the cake can handle its weight without moving it all around. I'm always surprised at how heavy cakes are and, since I have basically no strength in my arms, I try to get someone to help me who can handle the weight. HTH.

punkin90 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all for your help! I am new to cake decorating so I hope the cake turns out well. Your information will help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%