48 Dowels!!! In 1 Cake...

Lounge By bakingpw Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 8:32pm by imagenthatnj

bakingpw Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 17

I was watching "Amazing Wedding Cake" and the guy from NY "The Cake Artist" made a topsy turvy wedding cake and used 48 dowels for a four tier cake!!!!!! Holy Dowels Batman! The dowels were so close together, I can't imagine how the cake did not completely fall apart., instead of just the one tier.

16 replies
CWR41 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 17

What? I guess he'll have to learn the hard way when it crumbles and breaks away from all of the perforations!

AnotherCaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 17

And he even gets his own show, imagine that!

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 17

I saw that. I bought the season on iTunes. I stopped that video so many times. I got screenshots. It was all unbelievable.

I can't believe they have that on TV. Hope not too many beginners watch and learn from him!

TiffyB73 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 17

I saw that, too!! And his cake DID crack! He just patched it with icing!

I couldn't believe it as I was watching it... he just stacked the topsy-turvy tiers on top of each other at a slant. Don't know how it didn't just fall apart!

I am very new at this I and even I know better than that! icon_smile.gif

ebraddy Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 17

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that noticed that! My question is how would you even cut that cake, at least what would be left of it!?

AnotherCaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 17

And then it bounced along in his SUV all over Jersey as he tried to take it to the wrong venue.

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

And then it bounced along in his SUV all over Jersey as he tried to take it to the wrong venue.

LOL.

...while swearing all the way from shop to wrong venue and back to right venue.

So disappointed in WE TV for choosing that shop for the season. There are so many talented people out there. Thank goodness I can fast forward.

cricket0616 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 17

I have to add that I wasn't impressed with that cake. It wasn't a very good topsy turvy cake.

ebraddy Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 17

You know that they are giving him an entire series. Sure it's going to be just another Cake Boss- focused on the drama and not the cakes.

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebraddy

You know that they are giving him an entire series. Sure it's going to be just another - focused on the drama and not the cakes.

Exactly my thoughts. I thought about cake boss and all the drama. I watched CB once and that was enough.

LaWmn223 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you, Thank you, thank you.....I thought I was seeing things the other night...Ive never done one and at first thought it was some new way of doing a topsy turvy cake...then as he continued, I thought icon_confused.gif never seen that before...how is he gonna stabli.......wth...48 dowels!!! Oh, I get it...its a small tree disguised as a cake.... icon_wink.gif

robinmarie Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:58pm
post #13 of 17

I wasn't impressed by him and his shop as well. He totally critisized one of him employees right on camera when she wasn't making the cala lillies right........I would have walked out right then and there if I was her.....how humiliating

robinmarie Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 17

I want to see more new episodes of Fabulous Cakes. That is my all time favorite show!!!!

sebrina Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaWmn223

Oh, I get it...its a small tree disguised as a cake.... icon_wink.gif

BAHAHAHAHA!!!! Thank you! That was my laugh for the day! icon_lol.gif

cat2512 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:30pm
post #16 of 17

I saw that show too! I could hardly believe it when he told her they were putting all those dowels in the cake. I'm not a pro at this, but I thought there is no way I would ever put 48 dowels in a cake! How in the world would you cut the pieces?! Crazy!!!

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:32pm
post #17 of 17

Not only that, but they "needed to be thick dowels." They were almost the size of a broom stick. I don't think there was too much cake left around them. She had to use an electric saw to cut them and it still took some effort.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%