Are Your Customers On Cake Central?

Decorating By Katiebelle74 Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 11:00pm by scp1127

Katiebelle74 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 44

Recently I had a tasting with a bride, she told me she found this GREAT website with LOTS of cake pictures and great info, where you could look up cakes by color and style and watch cake decorators talk to each other about stuff and it was free to join so she had joined....cake central! My mind started jumping to any and all posts I've ever made icon_eek.gif. Great she found pictures and checked out cake artists here icon_lol.gif. Dang I miss the feeling of camaraderie with just other decorators icon_cool.gif. Freely asking questions and chatting about biz issues, which for me is now gone. Kinda makes me wish there were a free cake central for everyone where they could look at all the pics, and a Pro Cake central that had just a small fee so that for the most part it would just be decorators as it started out. Kinda changes things for me.

43 replies
jason_kraft Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 44

Why would your customers' presence on CC change how you ask questions or talk about your business?

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 44

I hope not as some people including myself have come here to vent about customers once in awhile...

Katiebelle74 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 44

most of the time it would not, I guess I just liked it when it was starting out, this makes me think of it more along the lines of social media/twitter/facebook than as a cake decoartors group.

Katiebelle74 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 44

Exactly Kiddiekakes sometimes you have a tough client or sticky situation and you want advice from another person in the biz. This has been a great place to come for that. But if the clients are on here then it just becomes another social media site.

Katiebelle74 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 44

Like for instance right now I have a particular client who is emailing me to death. I'm tempted to ask the advice of my peers here on CC but I am double thinking even that. While I would not begin to name names or say overly negative stuff by any means, I just now do not even feel comfortable explaining enough of the situation to get advice here like I usually would have. I guess I could create another user account that is not linked to any of my photos or web site or anything and pick a really random name, then ask away like I used to. I know one of the other decorators did that, perhaps for such a reason.

AnotherCaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #7 of 44

That's why it's good to remain as anonymous as possible. People can still put two and two together, but at least it takes a bit more work. Also, I don't accept friends requests on Facebook from people I do cake for either. That's what the biz page is for. If you didn't have an outlet to vent or whine at times with people who "get it" and aren't going to be offended.....then what the hell would you do?

AnotherCaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:58pm
post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebelle74

I'm tempted to ask the advice of my peers here on CC but I am double thinking even that.

Change your name, get your links off of here and get rid of your pics. Of course they are here, more than anyone probably thinks. Do a search for any type of cake on Google, and go to the images. 9 times out of 10, it's a cake from here. A few more clicks, and they are reading posts like this. Just a thought.

jason_kraft Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 44
Quote:

Like for instance right now I have a particular client who is emailing me to death. I'm tempted to ask the advice of my peers here on CC but I am double thinking even that.

I don't think you really need to worry...worst case scenario, if she finds out and gets offended that you were asking for advice from peers on how to deal with her, she won't order from you and you won't have to deal with the difficult client.

If a customer does happen to read a topic about them there shouldn't be an issue as long as you treat the customer with respect.

valerieInga Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 44

For some of the topics, like prices, bridezillas and people who expect alot for free, it would be good for the customers to see these topics and maybe they would realize more that they are asking for alot and expecting the decorator to do all this work for nothing when it is their whole income. I know people here watch Cakeboss or Ace of Cakes where they don't say prices so people think those cakes are comparible to grocery store prices.

masquerade Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie-

That's why it's good to remain as anonymous as possible. People can still put two and two together, but at least it takes a bit more work. Also, I don't accept friends requests on Facebook from people I do cake for either. That's what the biz page is for. If you didn't have an outlet to vent or whine at times with people who "get it" and aren't going to be offended.....then what the hell would you do?

I agree Jamie.

AnotherCaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

she won't order from you and you won't have to deal with the difficult client.

That's true! icon_smile.gif I'd rather someone not pick me because of face to face dealings though. But, a PITA lost is a PITA lost either way.

scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 44

I found CC while looking for cake pictures. If you search like I do... google "wedding cake pics", CC come up countless times. Look at my profile... nothing. Your web site and address will make you easy to find by your customers. This is not my reasoning for staying anonymous. My business concept is very different and I don't want to be copied. I have found the illegal bakers in my area because they post their web sites.

craise79 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:14am
post #14 of 44

To be honest with you I was a member of cake central before I started making cakes myself...I was absolutely in awe of the level of talent and the amazing cakes I was seeing. I think that most people who come on here who aren't decorators are just looking for ideas for their event or are just looking to admire the level of work that is present here. I didn't even look at the forums until I started decorating so I think that our "venting" sessions are still pretty save! That is unless you have a very nosey client!!!

tryingcake Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:36am
post #15 of 44

This is exactly why I liked PAID sites better. But not enough people join so they go out of business. I paid $15 a year for a great website. But, after 10 years strong, it is closing down due to lack of activity and now we have to come here, and other sites like here... along with customers. There is something to be said about paying to a part of an exclusive membership. Yeah, customers can still join, but the chances are smaller.

Like anything else in life, you want a place to go where you know it is safe to vent and just be you - not to have to watch every last P&Q. Obviously, we can't do that here.

Whelp - absolutely no more venting here or asking what do about hard to handle customers or even giving my opinion on hard to handle customers. And I'm not comfortable with them watching us ask how to do things. They really don't need to know what I am asking to learn.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:26am
post #16 of 44
Quote:

Like for instance right now I have a particular client who is emailing me to death. I'm tempted to ask the advice of my peers here on CC but I am double thinking even that. While I would not begin to name names or say overly negative stuff by any means, I just now do not even feel comfortable explaining enough of the situation to get advice here like I usually would have. I guess I could create another user account that is not linked to any of my photos or web site or anything and pick a really random name, then ask away like I used to. I know one of the other decorators did that, perhaps for such a reason.

two words - alter ego

at least i think that would work have a diff account if you feel you need to get something out and are fearful that a client would see. I would think for the most part very few clients would be on this site... but then again, if I had to get remarried I would not be making my own cake, so I would have to be someone's client!

Katiebelle74 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:07am
post #17 of 44

thanks for the insight. Alter Ego seems to be the answer. That way I can still openly ask questions, make remarks and vent when I need to, which is what I LOVE CC for!!! Thanks cake family icon_wink.gif

Foxicakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:30am
post #18 of 44

Personally, I think that it is a good thing for people to see what we talk about. I mean, if you think about it, most of the time it is griping about customers that want something for nothing, customers that just "dont get it" when it comes to pricing and "everything that goes into making these cakes", customers that act "entitled", and family / friends that take advantage of us. Maybe if more of them can read our point of view and actually HEAR what frustration and heartache it causes us, it might stop. Or at least lessen a little bit.
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tell a customer what you really think without having to actually TELL them? And, if you think that they will know that it is YOU talking about THEM, then do what so many others do and create second logins only for the forums and leave your main login to showcase your talent and "advertise" your website.
...JMHO. . .

scp1127 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:53am
post #19 of 44

I think there will be anonymity if you take off either your site or your state.

Katiebelle74 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 8:03am
post #20 of 44

I think the second profile is the best answer.

DSmo Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:44pm
post #21 of 44

I'm sure a moderator will come along and tell you this, but from the CC terms:

MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS
You may not create or operate more than 1 user account per person. If you are having difficulties logging in, please troubleshoot the problem here or you require more than 1 user account you must contact the CakeCentral.com administrators.

CakeCrystals Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #22 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

Whelp - absolutely no more venting here or asking what do about hard to handle customers or even giving my opinion on hard to handle customers. And I'm not comfortable with them watching us ask how to do things. They really don't need to know what I am asking to learn.

You know, I gotta say, I think it's a shame that you or any of us for that matter would allow non-cakers to dictate whether or not we vent about PITA clients, or just venting in general. You shouldn't allow anyone to do that to you. This is our place. Don't let anyone stop you from coming to CC and having your say. There are more clients out there that will still use your services whether they find you here on CC or not. Be true to yourself.

If any of my clients come to this site and read a post I did. Oh Well, so be it. LIFE GOES ON!!

KakesbyKris Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:12pm
post #23 of 44

I am walking on eggshells on this site now, but not because of a client.
I had a particularly rough week and was tired of losing orders to illegal bakers who were undercutting me and had a "last straw" moment. I couldn't vent to the other bakers I know, they were the problem, so I came here. I felt safe and comfortable to talk to others in my situation. I named no names just situation. Like another poster said though, 1 and 1 can be put together. A week later I got a call from one of the bakers "in total shock" that I would dare come on to a public forum and talk about them. Word spread and then comments were being made on FB. As if I wouldn't know it was about me. Which still baffles me how that public forum is ok and CC isn't?
Anyway, I am in the same boat of thinking about having an alter ego. I even thought about just deleting my account and starting over.

tryingcake Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:25pm
post #24 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeCrystals

Quote:

You know, I gotta say, I think it's a shame that you or any of us for that matter would allow non-cakers to dictate whether or not we vent about PITA clients, or just venting in general. You shouldn't allow anyone to do that to you. This is our place. Don't let anyone stop you from coming to CC and having your say. There are more clients out there that will still use your services whether they find you here on CC or not. Be true to yourself.

If any of my clients come to this site and read a post I did. Oh Well, so be it. LIFE GOES ON!!

That's not my point. Don't expect me to believe you are never in a situation where you just want to talk it out and not necessarily with the person you are having the issue with. You never ever just want to vent and keep that conversation private? Really?

In the end, and all of you should have been able to figure this out about me by now if you've read any of my previous posts on this board, I'm ultimately pretty straight up with my customers, good, bad or indifferent. But it doesn't mean that sometimes we just want a conversation behind the scenes, that person at hand doesn't always have to be dealt with directly- sometimes you just need to vent and that's all it takes to make the stress go away.

Then there are those times, few as they may be, we get on here and vent only to be be given different points of view by other decorators and we realize we were wrong, the customer was actually right (or at least not wrong). This happened just recently with a post by another cc member. It would have done damage had her customer had seen that.

We need a place where we can vent with little chance of our ranting being heard by people we don't want to hear.

scp1127 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:07pm
post #25 of 44

Kakesby Kris, I was the one with the illegal caker in my town coming on here telling us to mind our own business. I did take it to a pm discussion, but we did not resolve our differences. A week later, my health dept inspector came by to discuss some expansion plans I have. I asked her about illegals. She said she goes after them when she finds them, usually through business cards that make it into the hands of legal bakers. I asked her if she ever googled, "cake (city)"? She called me back that afternoon and told me she uncovered all eight. She is giving them time to shut down and then their sites will be turned over to the local IRS field office.

tryingcake Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 4:43am
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

She called me back that afternoon and told me she uncovered all eight. She is giving them time to shut down and then their sites will be turned over to the local IRS field office.

??? I guess I don't get that. I guess people are that brazen. I never once worried about the IRS finding me. And It wouldn't occur to me that this is what people are afraid of when operating illegally.

It took awhile to get FULLY legal.... but from day one I paid my taxes. It didn't matter if I was ever turned into Mr. IRS and Mr. State Taxes - I was 100% legal in that respect always. Taxes and licensing is a the easy part. OMG - very easy!! It's getting a commercial kitchen that is hard. You can get a business license and pay your taxes even if the baking part is illegal. They really don't care... they just want their tax money.

I always tell people building their business: Health depot rule breaking is a slap on the wrist and maybe a fine, even a hefty fine (thousands and thousand of dollars) but I've never heard of any one going to jail for baking out their home illegally. IRS rule breaking can land you in jail... don't ever mess with Mr. Taxman...ever! You will lose every time.

That's just crazy, man.

Sorelle Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:16am
post #27 of 44
Quote:

This is exactly why I liked PAID sites better. But not enough people join so they go out of business. I paid $15 a year for a great website. But, after 10 years strong, it is closing down due to lack of activity and now we have to come here, and other sites like here... along with customers. There is something to be said about paying to a part of an exclusive membership. Yeah, customers can still join, but the chances are smaller.

Like anything else in life, you want a place to go where you know it is safe to vent and just be you - not to have to watch every last P&Q. Obviously, we can't do that here.

I just paid $30.00 for mycakeschool I like it but somehow I feel more connected to all of you whom I've never met lol! Go figure.

scp1127 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 7:42am
post #28 of 44

tryingcake, the HD rep said that the illegal bakers give them a hard time. When they don't comply, the police have to get involved. They also deal with illegal tatoo parlors in homes. They are tired of it. They have been working with people, trying to help them get legal, but when they come back, nothing is done. The IRS is an easier avenue than police involvement, but that is still an option. In the other state, where my main market is, not one illegal baker was found on the web. Maryland is tough on illegals.

KakesbyKris Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:57pm
post #29 of 44

Sorelle- I have been contemplating joining that site. Is it worth it?

I agree with you about feeling more connected here.

ddaigle Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:44pm
post #30 of 44

I work at a bakery and many, many customers come in with pictures from cake central. I don't think cake civilians are too interested in reading the forums where we vent. They are just looking for pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%