Has Anyone Every Tried Corn Syrup Glaze On A Cake

Decorating By rdh522 Updated 11 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm by GI

rdh522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdh522 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I am making a Super Mario cake for my son's birthday this weekend and I've always used the star fill in method before but I'm not crazy with the look, I'm looking for something smoother and I've used the corn syrup glaze on cookies before and I love the way it smooths out and dries hard....but I am worried about doing it over buttercream icing and I've also heard not to put it in the frig or it will haze but I've always put my cakes in the frig when done.....I am open to any opinions and advise. Thanks

7 replies
outsidetheboxcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
outsidetheboxcakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 8

How about doing a buttercream transfer?

rdh522 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 8

What is that?

outsidetheboxcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
outsidetheboxcakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 8

You draw the image in reverse on parchment and freeze it. Here's a tutorial...
http://www.wilton.com/blog/index.php/decorating-with-frozen-buttercream-transfers/

rdh522 Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:05pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the advise, I did look into the buttercream transfer but I wasn't crazy about how thick they end up.....so I tried my original idea and I was very happy with how it turned out.....the only problem was very slight hairline cracks which only showed up in the darker colors (wondering if if was due to the extra food coloring) but you really had to look to see them! I would definately use this method again!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 8

I saw your pix. It turned out super.

For the CS glaze, does it soften up on the buttercream? I did put a few ??? on your pix....you know, FBCT are thick so I see what you mean. I think the CS glaze shows the details nicely.

Does this crust harder than a typical FBCT? I'm going to try this for a larger cake project I have coming up. This week I was going to try a FBCT and perhaps I'll do a CST side-by-side, see what the results are. icon_biggrin.gif

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8

I have often wondered this as well for trasfers for cookies! thanks for posting this!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 4:29pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdh522

the only problem was very slight hairline cracks which only showed up in the darker colors (wondering if if was due to the extra food coloring) but you really had to look to see them! I would definately use this method again!

I wonder if a tiny bit of glycerin in the icing would fix this issue. You can't see the hairline crack in the pix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%