How Do I Write A Quote For A Large Cupcake Order

Baking By NeedaName Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 6:27pm by platinumlady

NeedaName Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NeedaName Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 7

I am a startup business, that has never had a order over a few dozens. Now I have been told to make up a quote for 600 cupcakes. How do I charge? flat fee or per cupcake? And is there a sample format to follow.........PLEASE HELP

6 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 7

I charge (and make) cupcakes per the dozen. For 8 dozen or more, I discount the entire order by 5%. Works for me.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 7

I have a two tier pricing system. If they just want cupcakes and are picking them up, than it's standard pricing. ($2.00 each) If they want the 'wedding' order, I charge a dollar more per cupcake, and this includes, delivery, set-up and the rental of a cupcake display. If people question the 'wedding' pricing, I offer that they can order their cupcakes and pick them up themselves. I don't discount cupcake orders just because of bulk. If someone was ordering a wedding cake, I wouldn't discount that just because it was a large cake, so why would I discount a large cupcake order?

In the end, you have to do what feels right to you. If you need to offer a discount to get the order, and it won't affect your profit too much, than do it.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 11:55am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

If someone was ordering a wedding cake, I wouldn't discount that just because it was a large cake, so why would I discount a large cupcake order?

I actually do offer a 5% discount on any cake above 100 servings, mainly because they are few and far between here (and I charge more than double your prices, so my profit margin can handle it better thumbs_up.gif ), but I don't do free deliveries, complementary anniversary tiers, free cake stands, or any of that stuff either.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalhounsCakery

I have a two tier pricing system. If they just want cupcakes and are picking them up, than it's standard pricing. ($2.00 each) If they want the 'wedding' order, I charge a dollar more per cupcake, and this includes, delivery, set-up and the rental of a cupcake display. If people question the 'wedding' pricing, I offer that they can order their cupcakes and pick them up themselves. I don't discount cupcake orders just because of bulk. If someone was ordering a wedding cake, I wouldn't discount that just because it was a large cake, so why would I discount a large cupcake order?

In the end, you have to do what feels right to you. If you need to offer a discount to get the order, and it won't affect your profit too much, than do it.

I agree...I think the difference comes in pick up or delivery/set up/stand rental. I would probably give a 5% discount as well since it is such a large order. Great customer service could get you a returning client and word of mouth spreads very fast.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7

Will the 600 cupcakes be a regular weekly order..If not I would not discount any price.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Will the 600 cupcakes be a regular weekly order..If not I would not discount any price.

thumbs_up.gif

Totally Agree

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%