Stack A Wedding Cake...

Decorating By JoJoLarcs Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm by indydebi

JoJoLarcs Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 10:46am
post #1 of 8

I know this sounds like rather a silly question, but I'm in the middle of mking my first wedding cake and the intention is for the 3 tiers to be stacked one on top of the other... Quite literally how do i loift and stack them withouht damaging the decoration?

7 replies
Megan1979 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:10am
post #2 of 8

Very carefully lol. I use a large flat trowel to lift up the bottom enough to slip my hand underneath. I have started using a bit thicker cake boards to that way it is sturdier when I pick it up. R u covering the cake in fondant or BC. If fondant I let it sit a little first to firm up.

JoJoLarcs Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:40am
post #3 of 8

Thank you...

So you'd just hope you got it in the centre of the tier below first time? I can imagine it would be messy to try and move it?

Do you put anything in between each tier or just straight on to the cake below?

leah_s Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 8

If you had more time I'd suggest SPS, as you can actually slide the upper tier into place.

Each cake sits on a cardboard so that you can pick it up. And each of the two btoom tiers has a support system in it so that it will support the upper tiers. You do not sack cake on cake without support.

JoJoLarcs Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 8

Is this the same even when the cakes are placed directly on top of each othe.. I.e. not with pillars?

CWR41 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 8
Originally Posted by JoJoLarcs

So you'd just hope you got it in the centre of the tier below first time? I can imagine it would be messy to try and move it?

No, you don't hope, you don't give up until it's positioned correctly. It's not messy if you do this: (from another thread, "Any tips for stacking? Fingers/spatula in the way",, I wrote...)

Originally Posted by CWR41

If you're using SPS, you can lower one side of the tier onto the plate, remove your hand, slide the tier into place across the plate with your spatula, lower the cake the rest of the way, and remove your spatula.

If you aren't using SPS, it helps with positioning if you're placing your tier onto another cake circle (just as you would with a single plate separator). So rather than trying to lower it on top of a buttercream surface (while denting the lower cake, trying to get your hand and spatula out without making a mess, and possibly disturbing the dowels), you're lowering it onto a corrugated cake circle instead that's already stuck in place on the surface of the lower tier. Doubling up on circles is easier than risking damage and causing internal support issues, and you'll still be able to hammer a center dowel through all tiers without a problem.

inspiredbymom Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 8

When I use dowels/straws I cut to size and then stick them in only part of the way. Then I put the next layer on and the weight of the cake pushes the dowels in and you don't damage the cake below. Now, having said that, for cakes that we are delivering away from here, I now use the cakestacker system. We live in the country. Gravel, uneven, curvy, narrow roads with hills! Oh, and don't forget the potholes. It has made the delivery stress level lower for my DH as well as myself! It's a bit expensive, but worth it if we are not stressed!

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:28pm
post #8 of 8

Here's a thread with my step-by-step photos of how I stack BC cakes:

Quote by @%username% on %date%