Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By belovedcupcakes Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 5:59am by belovedcupcakes

belovedcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belovedcupcakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:43am
post #1 of 6

I have tried a couple of cream cheese icing recipes and they don't taste right and they are way too soft. Is there a particular brand of cream cheese that works best? Does any one have a great recipe they are willing to share?

5 replies
wwtoolong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wwtoolong Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 6

I have had issues with cream cheese frosting too....but recently I started using cold cream cheese, right from the fridge and it has come out perfect every time. I also use generic cheese, not Philadelphia.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 6

Here is a recipe I got from deMuralist it is a variation of Indydebi's BC recipe..It not only taste great but it crust wonderfully thumbs_up.gif With this I use softened cream cheese & Philadelphia cream cheese & don't have a problem and was even able to use it under fondant

"Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

Here is my version of Crusting cream cheese icing/Indydebi's buttercream variation.

1 2/3 cups Crisco
1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)
1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)

Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

HTH

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 6

I always use Ednas crusting cream cheese recipe, it tastes great & it crusts perfectly

Ingredients

1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter @ room temp
1 8oz bar cream cheese @ room temp
1 tblsp white vanilla extract
2 lbs sifted powder sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Directions

Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until nice and smooth. Add vanilla into mixture and combine. Sift together sugar and salt, and slowly add to shortening, butter & cheese mixture. Make sure that all sugar is incorporated. Enjoy!

*If to stiff of a consistency use less sugar but all the salt or gradually add milk to make the perfect consistency!
(http://www.designmeacake.com/cccbc.html)

This link my also help you

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6963835&sid=e015129cdb85b1095e163fd11b545ba7

HTH

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 6
belovedcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belovedcupcakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:59am
post #6 of 6

Thank you ladies for responding!! These tips and recipes look wonderful! Can't wait to test them out! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%