Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By belovedcupcakes Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 5:59am by belovedcupcakes

belovedcupcakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:43am
post #1 of 6

I have tried a couple of cream cheese icing recipes and they don't taste right and they are way too soft. Is there a particular brand of cream cheese that works best? Does any one have a great recipe they are willing to share?

5 replies
wwtoolong Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 6

I have had issues with cream cheese frosting too....but recently I started using cold cream cheese, right from the fridge and it has come out perfect every time. I also use generic cheese, not Philadelphia.

platinumlady Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 6

Here is a recipe I got from deMuralist it is a variation of Indydebi's BC recipe..It not only taste great but it crust wonderfully thumbs_up.gif With this I use softened cream cheese & Philadelphia cream cheese & don't have a problem and was even able to use it under fondant

"Crusting Cream Cheese Icing

Here is my version of Crusting cream cheese icing/Indydebi's buttercream variation.

1 2/3 cups Crisco
1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)
6 tablespoons Dream Whip
2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)
1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)

Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.
Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)
I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

Cupcations Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 6

I always use Ednas crusting cream cheese recipe, it tastes great & it crusts perfectly

1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter @ room temp
1 8oz bar cream cheese @ room temp
1 tblsp white vanilla extract
2 lbs sifted powder sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until nice and smooth. Add vanilla into mixture and combine. Sift together sugar and salt, and slowly add to shortening, butter & cheese mixture. Make sure that all sugar is incorporated. Enjoy!

*If to stiff of a consistency use less sugar but all the salt or gradually add milk to make the perfect consistency!

This link my also help you

imagenthatnj Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 6
belovedcupcakes Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:59am
post #6 of 6

Thank you ladies for responding!! These tips and recipes look wonderful! Can't wait to test them out! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%