How Far In Advance For Fondant Cutouts

Decorating By tamdan Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm by kristiemarie

tamdan Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:53am
post #1 of 7

Hi, I am making a fondant covered cake for this weekend. I am wondering how soon in advance I can make the fondant cutouts? Some of them are large and I am placing them on a round cake. I am worried that they will harden if made too soon and will break when I try to place them on the cake.

6 replies
cakification Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #2 of 7

I made fondant Cut outs yesterday for cake I'm making for satruday, and yes they will harden, but I'm just laying them on the cake, I don't need to bend them or anything.
The shapes that you want to cut out, are you going to need to bend them to form around the cake? If so then they will likely crack or break if you make them in advance. If you are just going to be place thm on the cake, flat, then that shouldnt be a problem.

KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 7

Hi...I have made my fondant cutouts way in advance. I just keep them covered tightly so they don't dry out. If I need the piece to go around the side of a rounded cake, I will curve that piece over the side of the pan so it gives it the curve of the cake...then I cover it in plastic wrap until I am ready to place it on the actual cake. HTH

Chellescakes Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:35am
post #4 of 7

I put them in a ziplock bag . They will keep for a week or more that way. If you want to do them further ahead. pop them in the freezer until you are ready for them. I sometimes have extra decorations so I keep them like this , Great for that last minute emergency cake.

tamdan Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 7

I am making a banner to partially go around the cake so that is why I am worried about the fondant breaking. i like the idea of wrapping the piece of fondant over the side of a cake pan.

grandmomof1 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 7

If mine are going on the side of the cake and I want to make them up early, I drape them around the side of a cake pan the same size as the cake. Turn the cake pan on its side and bridge the pan so it does not roll. Works like a charm. I actually have a monogram on the side of a cake pan as I write and plan on doing another one like that this weekend.

kristiemarie Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm
post #7 of 7

I haven't had any success with making fondant stuff early if it's not laying flat or not already in the shape you want it in. Even in a ziplock, it gets dry an then cracks when you bend it.

I'd make them and put them on right away. You can always do a little at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%