Yellow Pages... What Is Your Opinion?

Business By sweetlayers Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm by jason_kraft

sweetlayers Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 7

I had a consulting agency call me a few weeks ago to say that I was missing out on opporunties because my company was not listed in the phonebook's yellowpages. (They were a marketing/advertising firm.)

My thought for not paying all that money was that everyone gets their info online and not the yellow pages.

So what has your experience been? Are the yellowpages still worth the effort for this type of business?

What would you estimate as your rate of return on this investment?

I appreciate you sharing this tidbit of information.

6 replies
sweetlayers Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7

Anyone? I know it's late. Perhaps I will re-ask tomorrow.

warchild Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:17am
post #3 of 7

Be careful, its probably a scam. Theres been on going problems with the original yellow pages, having to deal with imposters that claim they're yellow page. These people have managed to dupe a lot of people into signing expensive contracts.

This very subject was brought up just a few days ago.

Heres the link. Be sure to read it through.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-714154.html

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:55am
post #4 of 7

I just received our 2 yellow pages books in the past few weeks. I never even brought them into the house; straight into the recycling bin they went. If I need to find a type of business, i google it. If they don't have a website, then I won't know about them.

Save your money to use for other types of advertising.

Cricketina Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:27am
post #5 of 7

My husband is in Management in Yellow page industry and the other poster is right there are alot of scams claining to be yellow pages!
what I would do is contact the phon book company you ar interested in and ask to speak to an agent so you know you are talking to the real deal!

Phone book companies do not only sell yellow page advertisement they also sell ONLINE advertising Google and Yahoo etc! even if you do not want in the phonebook you might want a local Google ad! they an help you advertise online...as most people use their phones or computers to look up businesses! GOOD LUCK!! I hope this helped thumbs_up.gif

Cricketina Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:29am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricketina

My husband is in Management in Yellow page industry and the other poster is right there are alot of scams claining to be yellow pages!
what I would do is contact the phon book company you ar interested in and ask to speak to an agent so you know you are talking to the real deal!

Phone book companies do not only sell yellow page advertisement they also sell ONLINE advertising Google and Yahoo etc! even if you do not want in the phonebook you might want a local Google ad! they an help you advertise online...as most people use their phones or computers to look up businesses! GOOD LUCK!! I hope this helped thumbs_up.gif

Sorry for the bad spelling my laptop was skipping !

jason_kraft Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricketina

Phone book companies do not only sell yellow page advertisement they also sell ONLINE advertising Google and Yahoo etc! even if you do not want in the phonebook you might want a local Google ad!

If you're going to advertise online you are probably better off just buying ads directly from Google (or Yelp, or The Knot, or whichever community you think would benefit you) instead of going through the phone book company.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%