Non-Caker Friends Keeps Saying

Decorating By sweetmonkeycheese Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 4:02am by metria

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 27

When I make a cake noncaker friends ohh and haaa, wh/ I LOVE, but then they go on and on saying "you should start selling or you should open a shop", it makes me feel a little weird.

I am very happy w/ my job, as much as I like caking it's hard azz work and my "day job" is so easy. I would never make this kind of money w/ a shop. I dont want to do cake all day every day, I dont even want to take a lil, here make me a cake and i'll buy the ingredients deal.

I just want a project, I just want to have fun (although it's stressful fun that makes me crank while in the midst of it all) I just want to be creative, but also practical (can't eat craft projects and it saves money for special occasions)

But I feel kinda like a b1tch when I am telling them no no no, caking is really hard, I am not really that good at it, blah blah blah.

26 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 27

You can thank them, then tell them point blank that you LOVE your job and really aren't interested in making cakes on the that kind of level; but it is nice to hear that your hard work is appreciated. If they push, thank them again and repeat that you aren't interested in making cakes that often, you prefer being able to simply pick and choose what you want to work on, when you want to work on one.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 27

Other people just don't get it. They have this vision in their mind that opening a shop or bakery is just the cutest little thing and it would be "oh so much fun" but let me tell you this.....it is not cute or easy and or anything of the like. Just tell them that "yeah that'd be great if YOU were the one putting in the hours." Many retail bakery owners will tell others thinking about opening a space "do NOT do it!" because it is so much work and the real $$ is elsewhere anyways.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:04am
post #4 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy42088

Other people just don't get it. They have this vision in their mind that opening a shop or bakery is just the cutest little thing and it would be "oh so much fun" but let me tell you this.....it is not cute or easy and or anything of the like. Just tell them that "yeah that'd be great if YOU were the one putting in the hours." Many retail bakery owners will tell others thinking about opening a space "do NOT do it!" because it is so much work and the real $$ is elsewhere anyways.

agreed, I think that is what they are thinking, and now that I have made a few cakes and have gotten a lil better at it the "you shoulds" have increased. We had a baby shower for a coworker today and I made the cake to match the theme, it was my 1st time working w/ fondant. Man that really set them off.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 27

I feel the same way. I love to cake, but I have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to be a business owner. My husband was a small business owner for years and he worked his tail off lol . It's not just about doing what you love, it's about accounting, advertising, insurance/liability, people skills, networking, price comparisons, materials shopping, bidding projects, blah blah blah. Yeah, sign me up lol ! I'll cake for family/friends to my heart's content, but no way Jose I'm gonna go into business for myself.

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 27

To me, it sounds like they're paying you a HUGE compliment. They think shop = excellent work. Thank them, tell them you appreciate it, and leave it at that. If they push, you can just indicate that you're really happy where you are and that owning a business is a whole other ballgame as far as expenses, etc. go. Then, smile, knowing people think your work is so valuable that they think you should be paid for it.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #7 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymarysunlight

To me, it sounds like they're paying you a HUGE compliment. They think shop = excellent work. Thank them, tell them you appreciate it, and leave it at that. If they push, you can just indicate that you're really happy where you are and that owning a business is a whole other ballgame as far as expenses, etc. go. Then, smile, knowing people think your work is so valuable that they think you should be paid for it.

they are and to them they do think the work is excellent, but I know in the caking world it's not, it feeling like taking credit for something that is not yours

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:27am
post #8 of 27

So...if I'm not a model I'm not pretty? Or, if someone's not a chef, they're not a good cook? See where I'm going here?

It IS yours. It IS you and they are complimenting YOU. Don't downgrade it. Own it. If you don't, you're hurting yourself. I spent YEARS downgrading myself about everything. I would even cry...yes, CRY...whenever someone complimented me. "Thank you" was very difficult for me. I'm no model. I'm no chef. I'm no professional in the caking world, but I feel good about what I've accomplished. Why? I had the guts to do it.

It's your world. Be comfortable in it.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:28am
post #9 of 27

Years ago, when I brought my class cake into the teacher's lunch room to get rid of it. ("Get rid of." tells you my feelings about cake decorating at that point.) I had taken the class through the park department. The class was excellent and our instructor outstanding. But all the steps involved(Including slicing my hand while leveling the layers and working hard to not get blood in the buttercream.) basicly left me with a major distaste for decorating cakes. I had several teachers approach me about making cakes for them. My standard reply was, "You couldn't pay me enough."
I will make cakes out of love or curiosity. Frankly, I prefer baking to decorating.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:58am
post #10 of 27

I have the sqme issues. I also hear a lot, "you should go on one of those cake challege chows, you would definitely win!" I laugh hystically when they say that and remind them that my cakes are just ok, I am NOT a pro like the people on the challenges.

Oh and what I cannot stand is when people say "you should open a party planning/cake business WITH ME!" (and they barely know me and they have no clue about any of this stuff. All they see are potential $$$$.) *sigh*

I do appreciate the compliments, just not the people who see me as a money maker for thwm.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 11:02am
post #11 of 27

Them: Oh you should open a shop!!!

You: Why I'd LOVE to except I have better things to do with $80,000 that I don't have! But thanks anyway!

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:08pm
post #12 of 27

I actually would love to "open a shop". And I really would rather be caking all day instead of sitting behind a desk at a computer. Because as it is now I sit at a desk all day and cake all night! But I know the reality and unfortunately it's not within my reach. If I would have known I wanted to do this 20 years ago and started working toward it back then, ok maybe. But I just didn't know that's what I wanted to be when I grew up.

The thing people don't realize is, sure I get tons of requests and people love when I make/give them a cake. But if I was to say ok that'll be $150 please...somehow I think I'd get a lot less "orders". icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:22pm
post #13 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

The thing people don't realize is, sure I get tons of requests and people love when I make/give them a cake. But if I was to say ok that'll be $150 please...somehow I think I'd get a lot less "orders". icon_redface.gif

Them: Oh you should open a shop!
You: Oh that would be wonderful except folks who love my cakes (thinking in your head .... "uh, YOU!) will probably not want to pay the prices it would take just to pay the overhead. Thanks anyway!

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:31pm
post #14 of 27

The thing people don't realize is, sure I get tons of requests and people love when I make/give them a cake. But if I was to say ok that'll be $150 please...somehow I think I'd get a lot less "orders". icon_redface.gif[/quote]

So true. I often get ' you should go proffessional or open a shop' but not one of them would pay the prices I would have to charge. They would at the very least expect mates rates. And yes I am quite happy with the cakes I produce now but I know that there are people out there that are leagues ahead of me in talent but because my friends would only get a supermarket cake if they didn't have mine they have no idea of the standard of work out there.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 3:34pm
post #15 of 27

While reading thru this post, I wanted so much to jump in and give my 2 cents worth; but it's already been covered by other postersicon_smile.gif I agree with EVERYONE here - VERY WELL SAID!
I came this close to forwarding the link to a few of my own friends...LOL!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm
post #16 of 27

When someone says that to me I just thank them for the compliment and say,"I'm retired and having a ball. I don't want to go back to work."

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief

I even said something like "ppl wont pay what it cost to make a cake and make money" and ppl were all.. ohh ppl would pay, they are so great. I bet they are thinking.. ppl would pay 20-30 bucks for cake! lol.

I dont even know how much cakes really go for, but I know from here the disconnect between what it take and what ppl want to pay. ( am in that boat for the most part, since I make my own cakes)

jennilynn03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennilynn03 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #18 of 27

I used to say there is so much for me to learn, and that never worked. So now I just repond back saying "If you have to money to open it I will do it". That normally gets them to stop.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm
post #19 of 27

I get the same response... which is a lovely compliment and I take it as such. But the persistent ones I tell that after working in a boutique bakery that made custom cakes I wouldn't do it. I saw the owner, a talented cake baker and decorator who used to love her job start to grind out cakes instead of enjoying what made her open her shop to begin with. She has since quit for that reason and not because she wasn't making money.
When cakes become work it takes the fun out of it. IMO

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 27

I could've wrote that post myself!! I live in a very, very small town. So small its considered a village icon_lol.gif In order for this community to be able to afford a cupcake, I'd have to charge $1 ea!! haha

I hear it all the time! I can bake like no one's business. My goodies are the first thing people look for at the bake sales! But decorating....not even close!! I don't have the patience for one thing.

But now they're ganging up on me....wanting me to open a shop. Are these people nuts!!?? I would need so much more decorating experience to even BEGIN to think about it. Cupcake shop?!! Perhaps.....

I'm not legal, I don't charge for the cakes I do. I only make for friends. But they slip me $$ everytime. I even made $150 on one cake (one of the wealthier residents)

But these people have no idea how much time and effort would have to go into a business.

It does feel awesome to hear the OOHS & AHHS tho!!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #21 of 27

It is a nice compliment! And I totally get what you are saying regarding your perceived talent level. I keep reminding myself that these "viewers" of my creations aren't on here viewing all day long! So to them...sure, I should do this full time.

I just smile and say "awww, you think so? That's so sweet!" and let it go. Persistant ones get the "it's so time consuming and incredibly messy" speech.

I had a friend post a compliment under a facebook photo of a cake I did for someone. She said "you should be charging ALOT for your cakes. You are ready! Like $25!!" Bahahahaha! Her comment actually got me a $5 tip on a $35 cake because the recipient saw it. icon_lol.gif

Enjoy the compliments and the fact you can pick and choose when do create a mess and a masterpiece! thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 7:50pm
post #22 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

I just want a project, I just want to have fun (although it's stressful fun that makes me crank while in the midst of it all) I just want to be creative, but also practical (can't eat craft projects and it saves money for special occasions)
caking is really hard, I am not really that good at it, blah blah blah.

Yessss to all of the above!!! icon_smile.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:10am
post #23 of 27

well I feel better knowing I am not the only one that feels funny when I know I should just be smiling and taking the compliment.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:38am
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasey

It is a nice compliment! ... I just smile and say "awww, you think so? That's so sweet!"

Me, too. I don't think most people even really mean it, it's just that they feel it's a high compliment (and it is!). I've been hearing for years that I should open a restaurant or do catering and now a cake business. I don't take it seriously.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:45am
post #25 of 27

I have a tiny little shop (legal)(It's actually space I share with another person - I do more catering than caking), I do not have a retail store front. I am by appt only. I get told the same thing all the time. I tell them point black, in a perfect world, yes, I agree. But as it is now I can turn down work I don't like, I don't have to make all those little onesy things to sell as impulse items to keep the doors open and if I don't like you - I don't have to sell to you. With a store front, I would have to do all of that. No!!

I'm just keepin' it fun.

indydebi Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 3:47am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

.... and if I don't like you - I don't have to sell to you.

Cracked me up! icon_lol.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 4:02am
post #27 of 27

i once replied with, "How about YOU open the shop, and I'll come work for you icon_wink.gif"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%