Edible Image Printer

Decorating By tinaclarke Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 12:41pm by tinaclarke

tinaclarke Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!
I saw there were some other posts about this, but they were older and when I tried to find the things or click on the links, I couldn't find them. So hoping someone can help me with some up to date info.
I want to purchase an edible image printer. It is my understanding that I can purchase a regular Canon printer then just get the edible ink cartridges for it. is this true? If so, does anyone know what is a good, affordable printer? And where do I get the ink from? Is this all very expensive? I am jsut starting out but really want to do this if I can afford it. I have about $150 for this. Is that enough to at least get started?
Thanks so much! You have all been SO helpful in the past!
Tina

3 replies
Price Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 4

check out Icing Images, Kopy Kake and Photo Frost. Their websites will give you the information you are looking for.

icingimages Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 4

Hi,
if you purchase your own printer, I would recommend a canon ip3600 if you have your own scanner or the canon mp560 if you do not. Both are excellent choices. But you probably are going to need to expand your budget a tad even doing it on your own. But go with a Canon, DO NOT cut corners by going with an Epson since it does not have a removable printhead. If you get a clog on an Epson, you have lost the printer if you cant get it out whereas on a Canon you can always manually clean it. AS for inks, brands do make a difference. Some brands have more alcohols in them causing premautre printhead burnout. Our cartridges are designed without a sponge which requires less alcohol and also gives you more prints per cartridge. There are also different types of icing sheets. We sell three types. Our house is similar to KK and PF. It is thin and reacts fast to the environment. What that means is that if it is humid, you will have trouble getting it off the backing and if it is dry, it can come off prematurely. THis is due to the nature of the thickness of the icing sheet. We also sell Lucks which is what is used on the edible images. It is a bit thicker so I think it holds up better than our house, PF and KK. Finally, you have my favorite the premium brand. It is a bit thicker again, but it gives you edge to edge printing (all other brands leave about a 1/2" border around the icing sheet whereas the Premium goes to the edges). Also, ours do not react as quickly to the enviornment which makes the icing sheet more flexable without cracking. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

tinaclarke Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I needed! I was all set to buy the Epson nx215. I will go with the Canon mp560 instead. THANK YOU!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%