Wedding Cakes - What's The Usual Size?

Decorating By jajay Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 12:01pm by jajay

jajay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jajay Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 5

hi all

iv only been caking since oct 2010 so still fairly new! iv never done a wedding cake before (mainly do kids birthday cakes), but in the space of 3hrs today iv been asked to do 2 wedding cakes!!

wedding 1
is to cater for 200 guests. she either wants 150 cupcakes and a 1 tier wedding cake (but not to sit on top of the c/c tower), or 100 cupcakes and a 2 tier cake.
she wants the tier/s to be fruitcake.

wedding 2
is to cater for 80 guests. she wants a price for 1 tier and 2 tier (depending on the difference i guess!).
this will be chocolate cake.

both asked what the biggest size tier was & not havin done them before i said 14" (hmm...i only hav 8" pan, need to go shoppin i think!).

so, what size would u recommend for these 2 weddings? (they are both square cakes
and what is the normal size tier/s for a wedding?

jajay x

s

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay

wedding 1
is to cater for 200 guests. she either wants 150 cupcakes and a 1 tier wedding cake (but not to sit on top of the c/c tower), or 100 cupcakes and a 2 tier cake. she wants the tier/s to be fruitcake.

Maybe someone can help you with UK servings, but here in the U.S. the industry standard is 8 cu. in. for non-fruitcake batters, of course. The Wilton chart: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
I'd imagine that because fruitcakes are so heavy, filling, and dense, you could probably get away with serving sizes that are half of the Wilton guide--1x2x4 or 2x2x2--and serve 1x2x2 inch slices. So, with the 1 tier option, you could get 64 servings (instead of 32) from an 8" square tier (goal of 50). Or, with the 2 tier option, you could get 100 servings (instead of 50) from a 10" square tier (goal of 100).

Quote:

wedding 2
is to cater for 80 guests. she wants a price for 1 tier and 2 tier (depending on the difference i guess!). this will be chocolate cake.

1 tier: 14" square serves 98 (most wedding cakes aren't typically only one huge tier, I'd try to talk her into a 2 tier.) 2 tier: 10" x 8" square serves 82, add a 6" 1st anniversary tier to get a total of 100 servings. HTH.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:52pm
post #3 of 5

Using UK portion guides:

Wedding 1 = 200 guests.
a. 150 cupcakes and 10" square wedding fruitcake = 200 portions
b. 100 cupcakes and 8" & 12" square wedding fruitcake = 204 portions

Wedding 2 = 80 guests
1 tier chocolate cake = 14" square
2 tier chocolate cake = 8" & 12" square [85 portions]

1. Fruitcake is never served as dessert. Fruit Cake is cut at 1" square
2. Fruitcake is baked 3-3.5 inches deep not 2 inches
3. Fruitcake is an expensive cake to make
4. The cost of a wedding cake is in the decoration and the time/ability spent on the cake
5. Does a 14" cake tin fit in your oven?

Quoting for a cake is complex. There are numerous topics discussed throught the forums.

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:43am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

wedding 1
is to cater for 200 guests. she either wants 150 cupcakes and a 1 tier wedding cake (but not to sit on top of the c/c tower), or 100 cupcakes and a 2 tier cake. she wants the tier/s to be fruitcake.

Maybe someone can help you with UK servings, but here in the U.S. the industry standard is 8 cu. in. for non-fruitcake batters, of course. The Wilton chart: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
I'd imagine that because fruitcakes are so heavy, filling, and dense, you could probably get away with serving sizes that are half of the Wilton guide--1x2x4 or 2x2x2--and serve 1x2x2 inch slices. So, with the 1 tier option, you could get 64 servings (instead of 32) from an 8" square tier (goal of 50). Or, with the 2 tier option, you could get 100 servings (instead of 50) from a 10" square tier (goal of 100).

Quote:

wedding 2
is to cater for 80 guests. she wants a price for 1 tier and 2 tier (depending on the difference i guess!). this will be chocolate cake.

1 tier: 14" square serves 98 (most wedding cakes aren't typically only one huge tier, I'd try to talk her into a 2 tier.) 2 tier: 10" x 8" square serves 82, add a 6" 1st anniversary tier to get a total of 100 servings. HTH.

I agree! I would try to get her to do a 2- tier wedding cake she will be better off that way. With having a fruit base as a filling it will be really heavy so you need to take that into consideration with the 2 tier as well. Wilton sells dowel rods for wedding cakes/ good luck

jajay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jajay Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 5

ooh this is fabulous, thanks so much icon_smile.gif

i thought 14" would be too big! will def try talk them into 12" at the very least!

thanks again, u girls are lifesavers!! x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%