Shrinkage

Decorating By smbegg Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 12:27am by indydebi

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 8

Why do cakes (atleast mine) shrink when I take them out of the oven. They are not overbaked (there is no browning on the sides or top and it is not pulled away from the pan until I take it out of the oven.

Am I doing something wrong or does this happen to everyone?

7 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8

Mine settle a little every time. That is why I add just a little more batter than is stated with the pan size. I also use 3 inch pans when there is a definite need for 2 inch layers.

smbegg Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 8

I don't really have an issue with it settling height wise, it is pulling in from the edges.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 8

Its basic science. things expand when they're hot .... they shrink or contract as they cool. As with anything, of course, there are varying degrees of pulling/shrinking.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_cakes_shrink_after_baking

smbegg Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks indydebi. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong. I just read a recipe that said if the cake pulled away from the edges that it was over done.

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:14am
post #6 of 8

"some" pulling away is normal. The cake shouldn't end up 1/3 the original size. icon_biggrin.gif Overbaking CAN cause it to shrink more (more heat is added to the formula, which dries up the moisture in the cake, which dries up the cake, which causes it to "pull together" more). As I said above .... many varying factors. thumbs_up.gif

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:17am
post #7 of 8

hee hee hee.. all I could think of was the Seinfeld episode where George was caught naked when it was cold out and he started to yell shrinkage shrinkage

indydebi Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif One of my favorite episodes! I luv it when Elaine asks "It shrinks?" icon_confused.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%