Supporting A Cake Without Dowels/straws

Decorating By HokieFan Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm by Karen421

HokieFan Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a small wedding cake for a friend. Chocolate cake in a 10in round and yellow cake in a 8 in round. The chocolate cake is delicious, but a little soft. I want to make sure it'll support the yellow cake on top of it. Can I place a separator plate between the 2 cakes? Would that help? It's an 8in plate so you won't see it once the cakes are stacked. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan

I'm making a small wedding cake for a friend. Chocolate cake in a 10in round and yellow cake in a 8 in round. The chocolate cake is delicious, but a little soft. I want to make sure it'll support the yellow cake on top of it. Can I place a separator plate between the 2 cakes? Would that help? It's an 8in plate so you won't see it once the cakes are stacked. Thanks in advance!

No, not without the dowels, straws, SPS legs, or hidden pillars. The plate alone is no different than a cardboard... you need the entire support system. Supports are required for every 4" of cake height.

cakedout Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 6

Sure you can use a separator plate between the two cakes (the 'feet') would help keep the 8" cake in place). But you MUST use dowels or straws for support!

SammieB Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 6

Honestly, I think you'd be okay. I'm not trying to disagree with the 2 previous posters, but you can look in my pics and I did a square, 2-tier cake in chocolate fondant with green leaves. The top cake had a separator plate under it, but that was it. Obviously the layers aren't very tall, but the bottom is 12" and the top is 8". There was really no squish to it. I covered the bottom completely in fondant, then put the other cake on top and gave it a couple of squishes to make sure it would hold up (just in case I did need supports) but it was fine.

leah_s Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 8:50pm
post #5 of 6

Stacking cakes without support is a very bad habit to get into. You might be OK a few times, but eventually you will have an epic fail. Work smart, clean and properly and you'll enjoy your caking life.

A support system is easy and takes virtually no time to do properly. Just pick one you like.

Karen421 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah - that's not a great idea. I wouldn't recommend doing it, the separator plate will just add more weight. 4 legs would be so worth the piece of mind!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%