Bake At Home, Sell In Store? Ohio.

Business By kristieanna Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 10:31pm by KalliCakes

kristieanna Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 5

Hello, I currently run a special order online cupcake company in Ohio. I operate under the cottage food law. I am looking for a retail space because business is picking up so much and I also would just love to have one.

There is a woman I know of also in Ohio, who bakes at home and sells her cupcakes in her retail shop. My question is, what kind of license or permit would I need to do something like this in case I don't get a space with a kitchen?

4 replies
myslady Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 5

you will have the health department as that would fall under them. You will need a licensed commercial kitchen from what i understand.

homebasedbaking Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:52am
post #3 of 5

If your home-based bakery is already licensed or you've received a permit to bake from home, go back to that regulatory agency and ask if you can sell your baked goods retail. The information below was provide from a Fact Sheet provided by the Ohio Department of Agriculture, for Cottage Food Production Operations.

Where may Cottage Food Production Operations Sell Their Food Products?
Cottage Food Products may only be sold in Ohio. Cottage Food Products that are properly identified and labeled may be sold directly to the consumer from the site where the products are produced; sold through grocery stores, farm markets, farmers markets; and sold and/or used in preparing food in a restaurant.

Contact ODA Division of Food Safety: 1-800-282-1955; email: [email protected]

KalliCakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 5

I thought, but I may be wrong--that under the Ohio Cottage Industry lines we cannot sell online? May have misinterpreted this when I was doing my research though....

KalliCakes Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 10:31pm
post #5 of 5

Oh-- sorry for the second message, but under the cottage industry laws in Ohio you can sell in a store--just have everything labeled properly. See the links here: http://www.agri.ohio.gov/foodsafety/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%