How To Ganache A Cake??

Decorating By Kakie Updated 20 Apr 2011 , 6:30am by JanH

Kakie Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 10:11am
post #1 of 4

Does anybody know how to finish a cake with this type of ganache (instead of using sugar paste)?
I've seen it used in the USA & Australia (this course is in Oz), but I'm int he UK, so although I'm trying to persuade my partner that our next holiday should be in oz (so that I can also go on the course!), it's a rather extreme way of learning it!
Would love it if someone could direct me to a course / book / worksheet that I can access form the UK???

3 replies
LisaPeps Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:08am
post #2 of 4

3 part video series:

Blog for a different method by covering it upside down:

You say that you want to use ganache instead of sugarpaste, do you mean by pouring it?

All of the first links are for covering it instead of buttercream and using sugarpaste still. It gives a nice finish so you could leave it without the paste but the majority of people still use sugarpaste.

cakesdivine Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 4

If you are pouring the ganache, ice the cake with a thin crumb coat of buttercream and refrigerate to set the icing. Then with the melted ganache (not too hot) place the cake on a cooling rack with a pan underneath to catch the drip, then in the center of the cake pour the ganache and allow it to flow over the sides of the cake. You can take your spatula to help flow the excess on top to the sides. If there are any "holes" dip your spatula in the ganache and patch it. Refrigerate to set the ganache.

JanH Posted 20 Apr 2011 , 6:30am
post #4 of 4

Quote by @%username% on %date%