How To Avoid Streaking When Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Charmed Updated 27 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm by KimAZ

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:05am
post #1 of 8

when I paint fondant there is always streaking and I can see brush strokes even If I use a bigger brush. I have tried gel colors and paste and even luster dust and always I get streaks. Is there Anyway to avoid this?
thanks

7 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:31am
post #2 of 8

I learned a trick that Michelle Bommarito taught in a class. Instead of using a brush, use a sponge to paint the color on the fondant. To get into the small spaces, just cut the sponge to small pieces and dab the color on. It works perfectly with luster dust mixed with alcohol too.

It's amazing how well the color goes on and there are no streaks at all!

Hope that helps!

KimAZ

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

I learned a trick that Michelle Bommarito taught in a class. Instead of using a brush, use a sponge to paint the color on the fondant. To get into the small spaces, just cut the sponge to small pieces and dab the color on. It works perfectly with luster dust mixed with alcohol too.

Hope that helps!

KimAZ

I will try that. thanks Kim thumbs_up.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:

Hope that helps!

KimAZ

Great tip! Thanks!

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you! I was just wondering the same this for a cake this past weekend!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:

Hope that helps!

KimAZ

What kind of sponge would you use? Kitchen sponge, sponge paint brush or sea sponge like you use for wall painting treatments?

Who knew there would be so many sponge variations. I am definitely sponge worthy!

(And if you get that last line, you are a true Seinfeld fan!)

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Quote:

Hope that helps!

KimAZ

What kind of sponge would you use? Kitchen sponge, sponge paint brush or sea sponge like you use for wall painting treatments?

Who knew there would be so many sponge variations. I am definitely sponge worthy!

(And if you get that last line, you are a true Seinfeld fan!)

Okay, I got the joke, Elaine! lol icon_wink.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 27 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 8

The sponges we used in her class were a thick density foam. I don't know what kind or brand though. I am quite sure those little white make up sponges would work just fine. Just something without the holes.

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%