Can I Turn Regular White Butter Cream Into Different Flavor

Baking By Krista512 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm by sistercarey

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #1 of 14

i dont make many cakes so i buy a bulk container of buttercream from Sams Club. is there any way to turn the basic white butter cream into a different flavor? such as Chocolate, strawberry, Lemon, Orange, Almond etc by just adding different things???

i tried adding cocoa powder yesterday and it was horrible
i also have tried adding strawberry extract and it wasnt good either.

13 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:00am
post #2 of 14

You should be able to. But it will be trial and error on your part. You might want to try the Lorann oils. They've got fairly strong flavour and don't require a lot to add flavour. Some are better than others. For chocolate you might find that adding melted chocolate or folding in ganache may be better. But again, you'll just have to try it out.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:10am
post #3 of 14

I would say you should be able to do it using different extracts/oils. I know I am constantly adding almond, lemon or orange extracts to me frosting depending on the cake and flavor I am going for. Zests also add a ton of flavor if you don't mind the zest bits in the frosting. Have fun experimenting!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:19am
post #4 of 14

I love using the emulsions. They are awesome!

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:22am
post #5 of 14

I would definitely try the Lorann oils, they will give you a lot of versatility. For chocolate, I too add in ganache for a really good icing!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #6 of 14

Is the icing already vanilla flavored? Perhaps that will affect the overall taste when adding additional flavors. Some flavors just don't gonwewll with vanilla, such as lemon.

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:59am
post #7 of 14

i dont think it is already flavored its just basic white buttercream.
where do i find these oils you all are talking about???
I have never had ganache?? how do i make it good. my problem is i am trying to get some good recipes to offer more flavors but dont have much money to spend right now.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:37am
post #8 of 14

I agree with everyone else, Lorann oils is the best way to go. They come in SO many flavors! You can order them online here: https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx but most craft supply stores will carry a small selection of them in the cake/candy aisle. Walmart even carries some in the craft section. They are super potent so a little goes a long way!

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:49am
post #9 of 14

thanks for the website. how much do these cost??

sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:10am
post #10 of 14

I have try strawberry kool-aid mix with the very same icing from Sams. It turn out great for a strawberry cake, but use very little cause it is strong. And I have try one block of cream cheese for cream cheese icing.(8 oz.)

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:16am
post #11 of 14

one block of cream cheese into the sams buttercream? how much buttercream do you mix it with?

Krista512 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:16am
post #12 of 14

one block of cream cheese into the sams buttercream? how much buttercream do you mix it with?
and kool aid the powder packet or the one in the container with sugar already in it

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:20pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista512

thanks for the website. how much do these cost??

You're welcome! They are $1.40 for 1 Dram (the tiny bottle) from this website, but you'll have to pay shipping. I believe they are about $1.50-$2.00 if you buy them at the craft store.

You really only need the Dram bottle, although you can purchase through the website in larger volumes, because they are so potent. I made a Key Lime Swiss Meringue Buttercream and only used 1/2 a Dram in a double batch, and SMBC can hold a lot of flavorings! I've found that each flavor has a different "strength," so just add a little at a time until you have the flavor strength you like icon_smile.gif

sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by krista512

and kool aid the powder packet or the one in the container with sugar already in it

One 8oz. cream cheese for every 5 cups or so....whatever taste you like. And kool-aide powder no sugar 5 cups or so.....sprinkle very little mix to your liking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%