Single Layer Cake

Decorating By Megan1979 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm by LindaF144a

Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:20am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to price up a 3 tiered single layer wedding cake to feed approx 110 ppl. I am not sure what a single layer cake is but I am presuming this means she doesn't want the cake to have any filling. I have attached a pic of the cake she is after for you to have a look at. The prob I have is the tiers are quite high (I would say 10cm plus). How am I meant to bake cakes this tall in one hit? The bottom cake would be quite large to. Is this at all possible or should I go back to her and say if she wants a cake that tall it will have to be at least a double layer cake?

4 replies
Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 5

For some reason the pic of tha cake isn't attaching. But it is a 3 tiered cake and each layer looks to be about 10cm high.

DeezTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeezTreatz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

Hey!

I would just explain to her that you will need at least 2 layers per cake - and to feed 110 people ! lol
Maybe just do a little math with Earlenes serving chart or Wiltons serving chart and let her know how many people a single layer cake will feed (Which might look odd in my opinion anyways!) hehe

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:52am
post #4 of 5

Find out if she doesn't want any filling, or doesn't want any flavored fillings... sometimes a straight BC filling is what they actually want, but they don't know how to describe it or assume it comes with BC anyway.

Perhaps she's referring to a cake she's seen that was baked with 3" tall pans (a single-layer cake 3" tall plus icing would look taller than a typical US single-layer cake 2" tall). If you don't have 3" tall pans, or would prefer to not mess with trying to bake with them, I don't see why she'd have a problem receiving 4" tall tiers (made with two 2" tall layers).

According to the Wilton wedding cake serving chart:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
if the cakes follow the same pattern of cutting, they can be from 3 to 6 in. high. You could make a 14"x10" to serve 116, add a 6" 1st anniversary top tier to it to serve a total of 128. Good luck.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 5

10cm is 4". Here in the US, that is a two layer cake with filling. A single layer 4" cake would be awful thick and dense.

Maybe she wants a fruit cake? Or she may be using the wrong terminology too. I would definitely get more information, like the other posters have suggested.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%