Science Theme For Baby Shower Cake?

Decorating By CookiesintheCupboard Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 1:13pm by ycknits

CookiesintheCupboard Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm
post #1 of 11

Hello there!
I am new to CakeCentral and am amazed at all the talent found here! I am learning different cake techniques as I go, so please bear with me. icon_smile.gif
I have a 3 layer (9" rounds) cake to decorate tomorrow with (requested) buttercream frosting for a baby shower. The shower will be held at a high school by the science department (it is for a chemistry teacher). I'm thinking of going the easy route with fondant sleeping baby on top (although I've never done it) or baby booties (again - a new one for me), but if anyone has any science-y ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks a bunch! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
ycknits Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:37pm
post #2 of 11

Baby figure in a lab coat wearing safety goggles?? Maybe with a flask in his/her hand?

CookiesintheCupboard Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 11
Originally Posted by ycknits

Baby figure in a lab coat wearing safety goggles?? Maybe with a flask in his/her hand?

Oh that is just too cute! I'll see if I can pull that off -- thank you!!

DeezTreatz Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 11

The baby with the blanket would be easy - just roll a ball for the head - and make a rectangle ball shape for the body and cover it with a blanket icon_smile.gif
I've tried making booties before and it was a fail! Rattles are easy and super cute - with a nice ribbon on them icon_smile.gif

I like the above ideas - a baby with a lab coat on or a teddy bear topper with a lab coat..
You could make some beakers boy and girl on them if they don't know the sex yet!

Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:23am
post #5 of 11

How fun! Be sure to make the lab coat oversized on the baby. Haha.

How about a beaker with a bottle nipple on top....

Baby's butt covered in a diaper with a "hazardous" symbol on the back haha.

Maybe something like "Babies are as precious as Au" (Periodic symbol for gold!)

ycknits Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #6 of 11

Good luck with the baby! Can't wait to see how it turns out icon_smile.gif

CookiesintheCupboard Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you so much, all of you! Your replies and advice really mean a lot to me. icon_smile.gif I love all the ideas -- now I just need to get molding! lol If it's good enough, I'll post a picture in my photos!

Thanks, again!!

Jennifer353 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 11

The first thing I thought of was a test-tube (baby) when I read the title but think the labcoat would be way better!
Please post pics I'm sure it will be really cute icon_smile.gif

sugardugar Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 11

If you do decide to do a fondant baby covered in a blankey make the blankey a lab coat!!!

CookiesintheCupboard Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 4:04am
post #10 of 11

I just posted a picture! icon_smile.gif It's nowhere near the detail I had in my head, but I think it turned out well for my first attempt at fondant figures and blocks. Thank you for the support, everyone! I loved the lab coat idea!

ycknits Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:13pm
post #11 of 11

Congratulations on posting your very first cake photo, Kara! And it is adorable. The design is unique and clever, and your execution is very neat and clean.... that all makes for a great decorating project. I'll bet the folks that hosted the event and commissioned the cake were delighted! I only started molding figures about a year ago and was so intimidated. Much to my delight, I've discovered that there are little beings in the fondant who just want to come to life. They usually turn out well, and I'm not really sure how or why icon_smile.gif I've definitely learned along the way that less is sometimes more. It's really easy to overload a cake and then lose the effect that you were after in the first place. I think you captured your intended effect extremely well. Congratulations on a great project!

Quote by @%username% on %date%