New Member! Anyone Ever Dye Cake Batter Before?

Decorating By amcakemaker2011 Updated 10 Apr 2011 , 2:34am by amcakemaker2011

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 15

Hi

I just signed up to this website. I am making a 2 tier birthday cake for a little girl turning 2 yrs old on July 16 2011. Her mom wants her cake to be a pink layer 2 tier cake. I was wanting to know if anyone has ever dyed the cake batter to make it different colors. The shades are pink colors. Please let me know thanks

Amber

14 replies
ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 15

The "white" cakes are easier to dye than the yellow if you want brighter colors.

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 15

Sure, it can be done, just add food coloring to your batter.

Check out this link for rainbow cakes: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&meta=search&type=full&search=Rainbow+Cake&album=-&search_user=

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:11pm
post #4 of 15

Use the gel-type food colors for better brighter hues. ditto on using white cake as the base vs. yellow.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 15

Like the PP stated, it is easier to tint a white cake batter. Good luck icon_smile.gif

amcakemaker2011 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:13pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you so much girls!!!

Lisa the link you wanted me to look at is the link i already have lol thanks though really appreciate it.

The cake is for a friend of mine and with me just starting out i needed to make sure you can actually dye the batter because i have never tried dying the batter before..
Anyone more tips on doing this process would be much appreciated

amber

amcakemaker2011 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigachu

Like the PP stated, it is easier to tint a white cake batter. Good luck icon_smile.gif

thank you so much! I am really curious on how it will look.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:43pm
post #8 of 15

Here is a pic of some rainbow cupcakes I made. I used a WASC recipe, which is a white cake, like others have stated. And I used gel colors, not much too get a very vibrant color!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1976417

to get the multi-color cake, just divide up your batter into separate bowls and color each one whatever colors you choose. Then just dump the different colors on top of each other, they will spread themselves out! Hope that helps! I think pink shades will be very pretty icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 15

Coloring the batter is lots of fun. Here is the inside of an Easter Egg cake we did a few years ago.... http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll426/ShelbyLynnCakes/?action=view¤t=5.jpg
We just divided the batter into separate bowls and added the food colorings, then we spooned it into the pan and got these results. We also did it in red, white and blue for a 4th of July cake, but we didn't get pictures of that one. And, we did a neon green colored cake for a toxic waste cake we did. That was a very bright color. It was funny too, I took the scrapes from leveling the cake and threw them outside for the squirels. I saw one squirrel at it taking a rather large piece. I watched him as he ran up the tree with it, the cake color really stood out. Then I got a good laugh when he got up the tree and I realized I could see squirrels all over the trees with the bright neon green pieces of cake.

For your cake, you could do white, pale pink and a bolder pink. Or if she wanted to add it in, a violet color.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 15

I've used packets of Kool-Aid to color white cake batter before. Blue, for a red, white, and blue Independence Day cake. Everyone loved the blue over the red velvet and whiteit gave it a citrus flavor.

You could experiment using pink lemonade-flavored Kool-Aid... although this probably isn't a good option for your client without tasting first. I know I'd like it!

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 15

I just did cupcakes for my daughter's birthday in January. They are in my photos. It was alot of fun to do!

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 15

I have used flat cream soda to dye white cakes pink before, comes out pale but very pretty! just use it in place of the water.
C

amcakemaker2011 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:47am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

Here is a pic of some rainbow cupcakes I made. I used a WASC recipe, which is a white cake, like others have stated. And I used gel colors, not much too get a very vibrant color!

to get the multi-color cake, just divide up your batter into separate bowls and color each one whatever colors you choose. Then just dump the different colors on top of each other, they will spread themselves out! Hope that helps! I think pink shades will be very pretty icon_smile.gif

Thank you! It is for a little girl that is turning 2yrs old. Her colors are going to be pink and purple cake.. Don't you have to bake the colors separate from each other?

amber

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:51am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcakemaker2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

Thank you! It is for a little girl that is turning 2yrs old. Her colors are going to be pink and purple cake.. Don't you have to bake the colors separate from each other?

amber

Nope icon_smile.gif Just plop the different colors right on top of each other in the middle of the pan. They spread each other out. And they won't mix together or at least not much icon_smile.gif

amcakemaker2011 Posted 10 Apr 2011 , 2:34am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Coloring the batter is lots of fun. Here is the inside of an Easter Egg cake we did a few years ago.... http://s314.photobucket.com/albums/ll426/ShelbyLynnCakes/?action=view¤t=5.jpg
We just divided the batter into separate bowls and added the food colorings, then we spooned it into the pan and got these results. We also did it in red, white and blue for a 4th of July cake, but we didn't get pictures of that one. And, we did a neon green colored cake for a toxic waste cake we did. That was a very bright color. It was funny too, I took the scrapes from leveling the cake and threw them outside for the squirels. I saw one squirrel at it taking a rather large piece. I watched him as he ran up the tree with it, the cake color really stood out. Then I got a good laugh when he got up the tree and I realized I could see squirrels all over the trees with the bright neon green pieces of cake.

For your cake, you could do white, pale pink and a bolder pink. Or if she wanted to add it in, a violet color.

She actually wants pink and purple colors for her daughters 2nd birthday

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%