First Time Order For 450 Cupcakes! Any Tips Or Advice?

Baking By divinecc Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm by CAC74

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 14

I have had orders for 150 and less but that's it! I bake from my kitchen at home(I am in a state where it is legal to bake from home) so I am kinda nervous. Does anyone have a efficient routine they would like to share or advice????

13 replies
patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 14

Make several at a time and freeze them, then set up an assembly line when you get ready to frost them.
If you have some friends that could come and help you with the crumb coat on them[if you are doing that]I would enlist them to help. I just finished an order for 200 ccs and 100 choc strawberries, and my arm about gave out on me before I got through with them. HTH

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 14

Agree with baking ahead and freezing. If you don't have enough freezer space, you can usually rent one from one of those furniture rental places (Rent-a-Center, for example) for a reasonable price.

Make sure you have enough boxes, cupcake inserts and support boards. You can fill up a box with naked cupcakes and pipe the icing right onto them.

Use the icing plug method for refilling your icing bag. When I do cupcakes, I use an 18" bag and make my icing plugs with my 18" plastic wrap. Make up a bunch of plugs in advance, then pipe until your hand falls off. icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Agree with baking ahead and freezing. If you don't have enough freezer space, you can usually rent one from one of those furniture rental places (Rent-a-Center, for example) for a reasonable price.

Make sure you have enough boxes, cupcake inserts and support boards. You can fill up a box with naked cupcakes and pipe the icing right onto them.

Use the icing plug method for refilling your icing bag. When I do cupcakes, I use an 18" bag and make my icing plugs with my 18" plastic wrap. Make up a bunch of plugs in advance, then pipe until your hand falls off. icon_wink.gif

Good luck!

you got that right!! I was so tired of piping roses on cupcakes, I don't even want to look at one this week.
I used some of those aluminum chafing pans to line mine up and then covered with saran wrap, but should have used press and seal, cause they started getting hard before the next morning. I ran out of my cake takers.
I can't imagine having to do 450 of them.!!!!You are braver than me.or else have more help.

divinecc Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:53pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks, I know a lot of people do things different so I thought I'd get a few ideas. I have thought about freezing them, the only problem I have with that is sometimes my wrappers peel when I freeze my vanilla cupcakes....who knows sometimes u can drive yourself crazy worrying about CAKES!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 14

I find that I have fewer wrapper problems if I let a little air into the container when I'm thawing frozen cupcakes. From there, always store them with just a little ventilation in their container.

It's only when I've kept the cupcakes sealed in an airtight container that most of the wrappers come loose. There are still always a couple of rebel cupcake wrappers, but overall, very few.

divinecc Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 14

Good idea, I will have to experiment! The wedding is may 11th so I have some time

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 14

I have done an order for 300 cupcakes (white, chocolate and peanut butter) and another for 500 cupcakes (white and chocolate). I would bake Thurs and then put the on full sheet trays, brush the tops with simple syrup and cover the with cling wrap. Then Friday I would frost and decorate and Saturday delivery and set up. We have a couple 8 foot fold up tables that we pulled out and placed around to have extra space. Worked out well.

divinecc Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 14

I have some extra tables I can use, good idea!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 14

Erdica, I'm planning on never, ever making any more than 2 dozen cupcakes for my family, BUT I'm curious about your system.

After you cover them with cling wrap, you don't freeze, right? Just leave them on the table covered? No refrigeration/no freezing.

That's if you decide that a day is enough to bake them all!

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:28pm
post #11 of 14

I just did 300 for a wedding. I made the icing ahead of time and froze the icing. I made part of the cupcakes on Thursday and the other part on Friday. I put the cupcakes in the boxes with the cupcake inserts once they were cooled. I also iced them once they were in the boxes in the inserts. It worked pretty well and it went pretty fast. I did have an extra table that I staked all of the boxes on.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:48pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Good luck!

Sorry if this is a silly question... but what is the icing plug method??

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 14
CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Icing plugs:

You just prepare your frosting ahead of time, like this.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38404&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=icing&&start=0

That's really neat! I have a cake to do for this weekend and I'm going to try this out. Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%