What To Charge?? Help!!

Decorating By misspatti Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 3:30am by jason_kraft

misspatti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misspatti Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

I have been asked to make a 2 layer slab cake with buttercream icing & decorations for 200 (birthday party). I NEED help with giving a price. Any ideas?? Also, what would be my best bet to make-3 12 x 18s (would feed about 210). Also, she wants a price for a 1 layer for 200. PLEASE help. What would you charge (for both instances)????? TIA

7 replies
joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 8

Price will first depend on the area you live in. Do you have a per serving charge? For instance, a buttercream cake goes for about $3/serving where I live, but if you go into the city, you are looking at $5 or more/serving on the same cake. You also need to consider your overhead costs such as electric and water. Don't forget to factor in things like cake boards and foil.

I personally would charge a minimum of $500, unless the decorations are excessive then I would charge more.

I would steer her toward a 2 layer cake, because I think a one layer cake for 200 would be a big pain in the you know what.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by misspatti

Also, what would be my best bet to make-3 12 x 18s (would feed about 210). Also, she wants a price for a 1 layer for 200.

Three 12"x18" cakes won't feed 210, they serve 47-54 each, so you'd only get 147-162. Your best bet is to use two true full sheets that serve 98-100 each, but since you probably don't own that size pan, nor would it fit into your oven (unless you have a commercial one), you'd need to use four 12"x18" half sheets. The price shouldn't matter if the four cakes are stacked to make two layers apiece, left separated, or pushed together.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

misspatti Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:44am
post #4 of 8

but see in that post it says that a 2 layer 12 x 18 serves 98. So then why would I need 4? (everywhere I've seen says a party size 2 layer 12 X 18 serves 72). And the price would matter from a 1 to 2 layer cake as a 2 layer is double the cake and icing....

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:39am
post #5 of 8
Quote:

but see in that post it says that a 2 layer 12 x 18 serves 98. So then why would I need 4?

Four layers.

Quote:

(everywhere I've seen says a party size 2 layer 12 X 18 serves 72).

The link above is for the industry standard 8 cu. in. servings. If you're using any chart other than the Wilton wedding cake guide, you're giving away extra cake for free.

Quote:

And the price would matter from a 1 to 2 layer cake as a 2 layer is double the cake and icing....

"if the four cakes (meaning four single-layer 12" x 18" half sheets) are stacked to make two layers apiece, left separated, or pushed together."
This means, if you use four layers, regardless if they are stacked or not, those four layers aren't double the cake or icing, it's the same amount of cake and icing... the only variables are how many boards you are going to put them on, and what size board(s).

misspatti Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #6 of 8

ok--but now the real question--what to possibly charge for a cake size to serve 200??

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:57am
post #7 of 8

Do you have a flat charge for sheet cakes or do you charge per serving? For me personally, I'd charge a minimum of $200 that's in C.I. Dollars, so about $240 U.S. Dollars. That would be for basic everything. If the customer wants premium flavours or fillings, or fondant or more complex designs then the price would go up from there. Hope that helps!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:30am
post #8 of 8

What are your ingredient costs, labor costs (the amount of time it takes to bake and decorate the cake * a reasonable hourly wage), and your overhead costs (insurance, utilities, licensing fees etc. on a per-order basis)? Add these up then add another 20-30% for your profit margin and you'll have your price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%