Building Panels...can I Coat The Back With Chocolate?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 5:54pm by KarenOR

KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 12

So, I have the 4 panels for my Sesame Street building done and drying. The more I look at them, the more worried I get about breakage. I made them thick, but still.

Can I coat the backs with melted chocolate or something else that would add some stability?

Thanks.

11 replies
KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 12

Anyone? I'm going to need to do this soon, if I decide to do it.
Ideas?

robinmarie Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 12

I would love to know this to, I tried to do panels as well before. What did you make them out of and how long did you let them dry??
I don't think I did it right??

KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:56pm
post #4 of 12

I used fondant, with a little gumpaste and added tylose. I just sprinkled it on, I don't have any idea how much I used. So far, so good, but I'm afraid when it's time to right them, they are going to crack.

I made them Saturday, they have been drying since then. The flat ones, I turned over last night and they will dry completely. The detailed one, I flipped over, but I could tell there was too much strain on part of it, so I flipped it back.

robinmarie Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 12

I hope some one will help with the answer. I used just fondont and put them in the freezer to get hard.......big mistake they just defrosted and got soft on me.....what a disaster I had...it was one of those moments that have you saying "what were you thinking"? lol

KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 12

I have found that freezer and fondant don't get along so well.

robinmarie Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 12

please pm me when your cake is done, I would love to see it!!!

DianeLM Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 12

Are the panels going to be stuck onto the sides of a cake? If so, you shouldn't need to add anything to them.

I am concerned about how "thick" you made them, tho. If they're too heavy, they may be tempted to fall away from the cake, taking the icing with them. If I were you, I'd use melted chocolate to glue the panels to the cake, to each other at the corners, and possibly on the board, if you can.

In the future, dry your fondant/gumpaste pieces on a piece of foam sponge. No wrinkling and no need to flip over. You can get large pieces of foam in the chair cushion section of the fabric store.

ycknits Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 12

I recently made a cake with curved fondant sails and they started to crack during assembly. Not knowing what else to do, I "spackled them with melted candy melts. It definitely provided additional strength. I think this would work well to reinforce your buildings, although you'd probably want to smooth the surface after coating.

Here's a photo of my sails:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1992669

KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 12

My cake is going to be covered in ganache, so it will have chocolate anyway. Yes, theoretically, they will just be attached to the cake. I'm just worried about them getting to that point.
Great idea about the sponge/foam! Maybe I'll look for some and gently move them.
They aren't too thick. I'd say the front, detailed panel is a little more than an 1/8th of an inch. The sides and back a little less.

ycknits! That is the cutest boat EVER!!!!

I might do a layer just on the back, it won't show anyway,and it hopefully will help. I really don't think they are too heavy. I hope!

Thanks.

ajwonka Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 12

I just attached fondant/tylose panels to a shopping bag cake yesterday. They'd dried for over a week, which I think was key. I glued them to the cake with melted chocolate & held each til dry. Worked great! Hth!

KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:54pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks. I'm kind of nervous since the front panel is where all the window cut outs and door and details are...but, I'm going to get the cushion today. They also have been trying for 6 days and will have another 8 before they go on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%