Please Help, How Do You Answer To This ?

Decorating By CakeswLove Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 3:37am by JanH

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:54pm
post #31 of 61

Run!!! Something is definately fishy. You won't even have exposure, because the client will take credit for the UNPAID CAKE!!! So even if the cake would end up with the singer and a picture is taken, NOONE will know, that you made it. So what exactly is in it for you?????

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:36am
post #32 of 61

How is this even going to be great publicity? It is probably going to be given in private, no mention of you will be made I am sure. The only publicity will be if you can get them to give you a positive review for you to post on your website, or get a photo of you the cake and the singer (might happen but probably not).

I would tell them no funds in advance no cake, sorry that is your policy because the cake is custom. If he ordered a fancy custom made leather jacket he would have to pay before he got to wear it. It has been my experience with the "entitled" that want to pay after the fact that you will never see a dime and if you do you will be chasing it forever, AND you might have to take legal action to collect. I wouldn't do it no matter who was ordering!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:49am
post #33 of 61

Okay I read the entire thread. Cancel the order immediately. I can promise you nothing good will come from this transaction. Run don't walk from this order.

If a client can't or won't follow your payment policies and trys to con you into changing your policies then they are not the client for you. Send them on their way. Nothing but regret will be in your future if you deal with these people.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:28am
post #34 of 61

Ok, for starters I haven't read through all of the posts so I'm not sure if I'm too late or whatever...

I own a small business (children's entertainment) and we do several corporate events at colleges, hospitals, schools, etc and they all pay two weeks after the event. It's their invoicing policies but I've never once not been paid. Normally I require payment up front but these are ones I make exceptions for because they have to go through their accounting department or whatever and they have their own policies they have to deal with. I wouldn't let that aspect stop me from doing the cake. Now if you are having price and/or design issues that is another issue. BUT, making cakes for UMASS and Jason Aldean are both BIG things which gives you lots of potential ins. Personally, I'd jump on the chance and I'd be flexible with my billing but I would definitely charge full price...no sense in making contacts who only are willing to pay discounted prices.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:55am
post #35 of 61

I've done freelance work for a local college and the payments have to go through the central accounting dept. and lots of red tape. I have always gotten paid, but sometimes it's literally taken months. They pay extremely well, so it has been well worth it. That's the only time that I've accepted payment after the fact.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 2:27am
post #36 of 61

I am just a hobby baker but my day job is in law enforcement... I understand the two week after event issue as it may very well be their accounting practice however everything else sounds way too fishy.. Did they give you a contact email, phone? I would be interested to see what might happen if you contacted the band manager, agent.. someone higher up the food chain and inquired.. It may not be worth the effort ..good luck whatever you decide

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:35am
post #37 of 61

I used to coordinate concerts like these for a country music radio station. You will not get any publicity. There are caterers backstage for every concert. They don't do anything but deliver and set up before the talent arrives. This sounds like a group or someone is asking for the cake. Why would the man buy his own cake? They have the ability to pay for anything they need. $200.00 is petty cash. The company will be long gone when ypur two weeks is up. You would have to make a claim in court in the city where their corporate headquarters is located. And you won't be sure who really is paying.

CASH UP FRONT!!! If it is really this artist, they know companies don't extend credit to a company that will be on the road that same evening. The promoters pay everything up front also. They also have credit cards for incidentals just like the rest of us do.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:59am
post #38 of 61

OK, I can't drop names, but I and my family have LOTS of experience dealing with very large talent in LA. Like, music, radio, TV and movie Super Stars. Fact is famous people don't pay for anything, they don't care where it comes from, they may or may not even eat it, and the last thing they want to do is help a vendor, especially the ones that cook the food, get publicity off them. IMHO they and the people that work for them are the biggest jerks on the planet.

Promoters name drop the talent to get vendors to discount their prices or expect you to give it away for free just for the honor of saying you made a cake for X. But the reality is the promoter is footing the bill for that stuff, and the more they get for free the more money remains in their pocket.

If the university is booking talent, they agreed to a flat fee. Flat fee goes to promoter/manager. Expenses like your cake would then be paid by Promoter out of said check, not the university. So yeah, he wants to stall everyone until he gets paid first, which may be 2 weeks after the event per university policy. But he just might not pay you, especially if there is no deposit or contract. He KNOWS that you aren't going to track him or his company down to take to small claims court for $200.

I would not do this job. You will not get paid and will get no exposure at all.

Good luck!

Jen

scp1127 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:11am
post #39 of 61

I agree, FromScratch. The only way to assure payment is to contract with the venue, just like the caterer does. I had one promoter that had a long relationship with our radio station, but he still paid up front because that was the industry standard.

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:14am
post #40 of 61

It's just so funny how the more famous a person gets, the more they get for FREE!! And, I would bet my last dollar that the guy you met with was thinking just THAT, too, when he told you who it was for! Yep, I'd bet that he probably figured that you would just do the cake that they wanted and maybe offer to give you pictures of Jason with the cake for your website or something like that in exchange for the cake. He probably figures that the publicity for you would be worth a lot more than what the cake would cost.
However, these people fall right into that whole conversation that was on here earlier in the week about people with "entitled" attitudes! I'm sure we have all heard stories of famous people never having to buy another stitch of clothing or shoes, or makeup, etc. because the company should feel thankful that they are wearing their stuff!!

I would wager that if they contacted Ron Ben Israel or Duff or Cake Boss, none of THEM would do it for that cheap. So why should YOU??
I would definitely stick to my guns on this one. And, I would inform him how much of a discount you are giving him already and ask for those photos of Jason with the cake in lieu of the discount. JMO...

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:18am
post #41 of 61

Okay, I just read FromScratchSF's post AFTER I posted my own!!LOL! Oh well, see? So now you've heard it from more that one person!! icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 7:31am
post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason-Lisa

Say you'll do the cake for $100, with front row tickets, backstage passes and YOU want to give the cake to him!!!! THAT would be worth it....and take lots of pictures for advertising! Let us know how it works out!

i totally agree with this !!! icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

rharris524 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:40pm
post #43 of 61

Wait, I'm confused...is the university buying this as a thank you gift or is the promoter trying to get this as part of the catering? \\if it's the promoter, then it sounds sketchy, if it's the university, then 2 weeks is normal and I do think that you have potential for publicity because next time they need a cake, youll be their go to.

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 3:02pm
post #44 of 61

LOL Foxy! Yeah, we are of the same mind.

I guess I'm not star struck (I've never even heard of this guy before), and am not in the position to give anything away for free. Concert tickets don't pay my bills icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

CakeswLove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeswLove Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:22pm
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

LOL Foxy! Yeah, we are of the same mind.

I guess I'm not star struck (I've never even heard of this guy before), and am not in the position to give anything away for free. Concert tickets don't pay my bills icon_biggrin.gif

Jen

Thank you Jen icon_wink.gif Ok the director of Marketing of UMASS is buying the cake, well at least he is in charge of buying or finding something special for every person that comes to do any show in the University. They have never given a cake before, this was an idea of one of the interns after they saw my cake on tv (Dr. Seuss Cake, done for the Springfield museum) The director taught it was a "cool" idea to gift a cake. That is why we got contacted. At first I was really elated with the idea, NOT so much after I have read all of your input that by the way its AWESOME icon_wink.gif Thank you all but I do believe I should really back out of this...... I was suppose to email him back and I still haven't icon_confused.gif ..........

rharris524 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:55pm
post #46 of 61

If he is willing to pay your price, or is willing to compromise on his design, I think that turning this down is a mistake. His job is to buy something special for each act that comes to the campus, which is probably at least one a month, and he likes the idea of a cool cake...if you don't do this, it sounds like you are giving away a heck of a lot of potential business. I wouldn't wokr at a discount "just because" but I wouldn't walk away over a two week wait on payment when you have a signed contract with a major university

CakeswLove Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:58pm
post #47 of 61

Ok the dirty duty was done icon_surprised.gif I can't believe I just turn down this cake icon_confused.gif but I can say I feel better icon_rolleyes.gif ..........

Thank you all for your great input icon_smile.gif

I will keep you posted, I am sure he will let me know what he thinks icon_lol.gif

CakeswLove Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:03pm
post #48 of 61

Maybe I should had mentioned ........ I got here 7 months ago, we came from Florida because the house we rented went on foreclosure. But after living here in the cold I want to go back to FL ASAP icon_biggrin.gif We are planning to go back in June so this cake was just one of the last ones to be done here in MA, to us the "advertisement" part wasn't really going to work if we are moving right icon_confused.gif
So there is really no other "business" opportunity here for us ........ icon_sad.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeswLove

Ok the dirty duty was done icon_surprised.gif I can't believe I just turn down this cake icon_confused.gif but I can say I feel better icon_rolleyes.gif ..........

Thank you all for your great input icon_smile.gif

I will keep you posted, I am sure he will let me know what he thinks icon_lol.gif

You did the right thing. If anything you may have helped educate this delusional person about what to expect from cake vendors.
And who knows...maybe they will come back with more money and upfront payment! (and the pigs will be flying in formation when that happens!) icon_lol.gif

CakeswLove Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #50 of 61

I just got a response from him :

Im sorry to hear that is the case. I will talk with my finance department further to see if we have any wiggle room. I doubt they will budge, but I really want to have you guys make the cake so I will push and see what I can find out.

So maybe I will hear back from him icon_confused.gif most likely NOT icon_eek.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeswLove

I just got a response from him :

I�m sorry to hear that is the case. I will talk with my finance department further to see if we have any wiggle room. I doubt they will budge, but I really want to have you guys make the cake� so I will push and see what I can find out.

So maybe I will hear back from him icon_confused.gif most likely NOT icon_eek.gif

I dunno - he might find more money!

So I didn't realize the university had contacted you for this. I was going to say see if you can get a vendor contract with the university to make cake for their next 3 events or something to that effect to justify the discount, but since you are moving I guess that's not going to work.

It seems like the demand for you is pretty high so sticking to your guns might have paid off for you...

Jen

amcakemaker2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amcakemaker2011 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:23am
post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinascakes

I would stick to my guns!! Simply and politely state that the cake is $200 and that you require 50% deposit up front and the balance paid at least 2 weeks before the delivery date. If this is not possible, then I would say that I'm very sorry but we will not be able to do business.

OR you could go the other route and just say "oh look at that, I just got booked for that weekend! Sorry" icon_smile.gif

Getting paid 2 weeks after the fact is just ridiculous! And what actually guarantees you that you will get paid? Sounds like a scam to me!!

I agree 100% it does sound like a scam to me too. I WOULD NOT DO IT!!! Forget that everyone needs to be paid for the work that they do when it comes to big projects like this one...

scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 2:48am
post #53 of 61

If people are seeking you out because of your amazing talent, DO NOT COMPROMISE YOUR PRICE!!! You are in a great spot. The reason the university is keeping the budget low is just like your situation... there is no return on this for either of you. Just everyone doing work or spending money for really no reason.

Jacscakes213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jacscakes213 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:23am
post #54 of 61

All I'm sayin....is this cake being for a MAJOR country star..they can afford to pay whatever your work is worth and I'm sure it is more than 200. Like a PP said...tell him to ask Duff or hey even the cake boss himself....see if they will do it under those terms...and the. To get back to you when he's serious...aye for the love of the rich and famous...

scp1127 Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:25am
post #55 of 61

Duff and Buddy would laugh and walk away.

carmijok Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 8:17am
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacscakes213

All I'm sayin....is this cake being for a MAJOR country star..they can afford to pay whatever your work is worth and I'm sure it is more than 200. Like a PP said...tell him to ask Duff or hey even the himself....see if they will do it under those terms...and the. To get back to you when he's serious...aye for the love of the rich and famous...

The 'star' isn't paying for the cake and won't even know who made it! That's what I think is crazy! Plus events like this that promise great 'exposure' for your business usually turn out not so great for the vendors that participate.

CakeswLove Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 9:51pm
post #57 of 61

Here is the link of an article that will publish tomorrow in the newspaper the Republican ........ and they mentioned the cake for UMASS icon_eek.gif what am I going to do now icon_redface.gif INPUT needed please icon_cry.gif

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.masslive.com%2Fliving%2Findex.ssf%2F2011%2F04%2Fcakes_with_love_the_hardwork_story_of_the_decorating_diva_and_the_master_carver.html&h=5a2d6

scp1127 Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:21am
post #58 of 61

You do not have a contract. And no one will see the cake if you make it. And no one will care when you don't. Don't be bullied. You have talent. I don't have anywhere near your talent, but my cakes are $4.00 per serving, or I will be spending that time doing something I want to do with my family.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:28am
post #59 of 61

I was not able to view your link, but if you do decide to do the cake, ask them to submit a purchase order to be paid when you require it. And then, since he will not let anyone know who made the cake, I would stick your logo and information on the cake board underneath the cake so that when they cut into it they see who made it.

carmijok Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 2:44am
post #60 of 61

I totally agree with the others...don't be bullied. If this guy thinks so much of your abilities then by golly he needs to conform to YOUR policies, not the other way around. Besides, he once again confirmed that it would be THEY that are presenting him with a cake--not you...and from the sound of it he wants it to be an over the top sensation--for $200...are you kidding me? And to wait 2-weeks for payment? Just because someone wrote an article doesn't mean you have to do it. There's no contract is there? I have a feeling this guy will be jumping through YOUR hoops if you don't back down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%