The Sesame Street Stoop

Decorating By Kvalich Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm by KarenOR

Kvalich Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making my daughter an Elmo cake for her birthday. Its a 3D cake using the Wilton bear stand up cake pan to make Elmo. I want to have him siting on the sesame street steps.
I'm using sheet cakes to make the steps.

I need advise on how to make the door that's behind the steps and the side rails for the steps (search google images for "sesame street steps for a picture).

I dont even know where to start. Help please.

5 replies
m0use Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 6

You could make them out of fondant, royal icing, gumpaste, or candy

Kvalich Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 6

But they will be big, how will they stand?
Should I pipe the design on the doors on or carve is out so it's indented? If I use fondant to make them will it stand that tall on it's own (just attached to the sheet cake steps at the bottom)

m0use Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

To help them stand I would attach a rod/cake dowel to the back and cover it in the same color as the decoration so that 1) it blends in (hide your work) & 2) acts as "glue" between the two pieces

KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 6

I'm working on the Sesame Street steps, too, for my son's 3rd birthday.
Except, apparently, I decided it was a good idea to make the enter facade of the building, plus the part where Oscars trash can lives.
I made the doors out of fondant/gumpaste and then did a panel for the inserts, so it's sort of backwards, but it works.
There is a fabulous stoop that I've been referencing on here. I think it was Kitagrl.

KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry, the stairs were CakeAnnie! Check them out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%