The Sesame Street Stoop

Decorating By Kvalich Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm by KarenOR

Kvalich  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kvalich Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making my daughter an Elmo cake for her birthday. Its a 3D cake using the Wilton bear stand up cake pan to make Elmo. I want to have him siting on the sesame street steps.
I'm using sheet cakes to make the steps.

I need advise on how to make the door that's behind the steps and the side rails for the steps (search google images for "sesame street steps for a picture).

I dont even know where to start. Help please.

5 replies
 m0use  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 6

You could make them out of fondant, royal icing, gumpaste, or candy

Kvalich  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kvalich Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 6

But they will be big, how will they stand?
Should I pipe the design on the doors on or carve is out so it's indented? If I use fondant to make them will it stand that tall on it's own (just attached to the sheet cake steps at the bottom)

m0use  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

To help them stand I would attach a rod/cake dowel to the back and cover it in the same color as the decoration so that 1) it blends in (hide your work) & 2) acts as "glue" between the two pieces

KarenOR  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 6

I'm working on the Sesame Street steps, too, for my son's 3rd birthday.
Except, apparently, I decided it was a good idea to make the enter facade of the building, plus the part where Oscars trash can lives.
I made the doors out of fondant/gumpaste and then did a panel for the inserts, so it's sort of backwards, but it works.
There is a fabulous stoop that I've been referencing on here. I think it was Kitagrl.

KarenOR  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:03pm
post #6 of 6

Sorry, the stairs were CakeAnnie! Check them out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%