Placing Cake Tiers On Fondant Covered Cake Boards

Decorating By leezer Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 6:03pm by divinecc

leezer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leezer Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:29am
post #1 of 6

I'm fairly new to cake decorating and am trying to perfect many things at this point. Is there anyone who can give me some sound advice on how to place a fondant covered tiered cake onto an already fondant covered cake board? I'm finding that the edges of my tier look terrible when I'm done. The bottom edges are torn, or buttercream has leaked out from underneath the fondant tiers and on to my fondant covered board. There's extra fingerprints on the fondant. I don't always want to put in a border of ribbon, or balls of fondant or strips of fondant or buttercream borders. Sometimes, I would like just a nice clean edge. I know it can be done, because I've seen pictures of beautiful cakes that look awesome. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:36am
post #2 of 6

If the edges of my fondant covered cake are not neat then I place the cake on the board and "wrap" the fondant around it to cover the board. This hides the edge of the cake.

Also fondant has a tendency to shrink sometimes. Leave a little excess around the cake and trim it only after its rested for a while, about 20 minutes. If you trim all the excess away immediately after covering your cake, the fondant could be shrinking back causing the crumb coat to show.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 6

the cake board part is at the end of the pictures, pretty cool loking and so nice to have such a step by step of pics on how to do it

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 6

I definitely do the cake board ahead of time and let it dry, then you don't have to worry about dents and a smear of buttercream can easily be cleaned away.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 6

[quote="sweetmonkeycheese"]try this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157594575839118[/quot

I like this icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%