Freezing A Cake Covered In Fondant

Decorating By fundant1 Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm by ycknits

fundant1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fundant1 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:20am
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure that I have read that you cannot freeze a cake decorated with fondant. I'm just verifiying if that is true. I have made a simple box cake - but need to transport it 4 hours. If I could freeze the finished cake - it would be perfectly thawed when I got to the party. BUT, something tells me that I have read that its a bad idea.

The cake is currently frozen and covered in butter cream/nutella. I would like to cover it in fondant, finish the decorating and then refreeze it and then box it up for the trip.

Thoughts?

8 replies
fundant1 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 9

Hi all,

I posted the question about freezing a cake covered in fondant. I have not heard any responses at to if this is a good idea/bad. If anyone has experience with it, I'd sure like to hear your opinions.

CakeDiva101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva101 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 9

Well, I have not frozen cake intirely cover in fondant but I have frozen cake covered in buttercream with a lot fondant details, such as borders, stripes, etc. Without a problem. I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 9

I have had great results freezing fondant covered cakes. Just realize that when the cake comes out of the freezer as it defrosts it will become "sweaty". DO NOT touch it or try to wipe it off. It will evaporate and nobody will ever know it had been frozen. However, I do not think that 4 hours defrosting time will work, since it will be defrosted in that amount of time but it will probably not be dry. HTH

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 9

I made an experiment one day and froze a fondant cake, and when I took the cake out to defrost, the fondant "sweats". So I would caution against it.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 9

Honestly, I would not freeze the cake for the trip. Like it was mentioned above, even if it thawed in that time, the sweating wouldn't have dried.

You would be better off finishing the cake and just keep it in the fridge until you need to leave. Put the boxed cake in a cooler with ice paks underneath the box if you are worried about it getting too hot and melting. Otherwise I see no reason why it would even need that- fondant cakes can be at room temp for days.

mamabaer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamabaer Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 9

I have not tried this, but was told that you can freeze it but that you have to thaw it by putting in the fridge for a day, then set out on the counter and let come to room temp without touching it. This helps the cake acclimate and reduces the sweating of the cake.

fundant1 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 9

Great advice - thank you!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:28pm
post #9 of 9

I do freeze cakes covered with fondant - successfully, using recommendations from CC'ers. I do charity baking for a monthly birthday event and can't always be there on the specific day. When that happens, I decorate the cakes ahead of time and freeze, using the following process:

Decorate the cake as usual, generally fondant covered, with buttercream icing underneath. I keep the top decorations to a minimum so that I can fit the cake into a standard sized 6" high cake box. If there is a topper, I make it separate and deliver it that way to be placed on the cake later. I put the cake into the box at room temperature and crumple up paper towels to fill the corners of the box if necessary to keep the cake from shifting around. Then I wrap the entire box with many (6? ) layers of saran wrap, being careful to seal it completely. Then I overwrap it all with a couple layers of aluminum foil. The group hosting the event puts the wrapped cake boxes in their freezer. The night before the event, they remove the boxes from the freezer and leave them sit out at room temperature overnight. The next morning, they remove the packaging and let the unwrapped cake sit at room temperature until they serve it at noon that day.

We've had very good luck doing it this way and they are very grateful to have the cakes even when I am out of town on the event day. I was scared to death to try this, but - as they say - necessity is the mother of invention icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%