Cake Boards

Decorating By sebrina Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 9:16pm by CWR41

sebrina Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:47am
post #1 of 16

When you are making a tiered cake, do you always wrap the cake boards between the layers? I have been covering them but I was watching one of those crazy cake shows the other day & noticed they had their's on an unwrapped board. Am I just wasting time wrapping each one? icon_confused.gif TIA!

15 replies
CupQuequito Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:52am
post #2 of 16

I don't wrap mine. I haven't been told to, either. :p lol

CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:08am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

Am I just wasting time wrapping each one? icon_confused.gif TIA!

I think so. Corrugated cake boards are made for this purpose... there really isn't a need to cover them.

KarisCakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:09am
post #4 of 16

I don't wrap mine either. Never thought I had to. Now, I'll worry about it! haha!

CupQuequito Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:10am
post #5 of 16

LOL

sacakesandbakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:32am
post #6 of 16

I too never have covered purchased cake boards. If I cut my own from a cardboard box for the bottom layer I definately cover them with cake foil. However, I didnt know that the floral foil the cake supply store sells is not food safe. I think I read that some where it should be covered with clear contact paper. Lately, I've just been covering the bottom board in fondant/gumpaste and puting a ribbon around the edge. Looks a lot better than a foil covered board.

chocolatestone Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:31am
post #7 of 16

What about the foam core boards. Do they need to be covered?

CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:17am
post #8 of 16

If you are covering base boards with colored foil that isn't food safe, it's okay as long as the cake is on its own board and doesn't have prolonged direct contact with foil that you aren't certain if it's food grade or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacakesandbakes

I think I read that some where it should be covered with clear contact paper.

Not food safe. Better to use something made for food, like cling wrap.

sebrina Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:59pm
post #9 of 16

Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif I will stop wasting the time it takes to wrap each one. I don't know why I assumed they had to be wrapped. OCD I guess!

yummy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 16

I don't like the look of a board (under the cake) once icing or cake hits it.

sebrina Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 7:50pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy

I don't like the look of a board (under the cake) once icing or cake hits it.

What do you use?

slsharratt Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 16

what do you do to keep the bottom layer of icing from sticking to the board that holds up the top layer?

cakedout Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm
post #13 of 16

Foamcore doesn't really need to be covered either, but depending on the cake flavor I will cover it with clear contact paper.

TinkerCakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 8:51pm
post #14 of 16

I'm glad I came across this, I've been wrapping mine. I heard that even the cake boards can get "soft" from the moisture and they should be covered...guess I heard wrong.icon_smile.gif

CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:13pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by slsharratt

what do you do to keep the bottom layer of icing from sticking to the board that holds up the top layer?

If you mean the icing on the top of the lower tier from sticking to the board which is under the top tier...
use a circle of waxed paper, parchment paper, or sprinkle powdered sugar.

CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:16pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

I will cover it with clear contact paper.

Not food safe. Be sure your cake is on its own board, and doesn't have prolonged direct contact with Contact Paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%