Can I?

Baking By lolobell Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 5:33am by lolobell

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:39am
post #1 of 6

Okay...i know that i have asked some ding dong questions before...but this one might take the cake...No pun intended!!!

i am making a cake for a friend tomorrow...
the usual..WASC..with strawberry whipped filling..

i wanted to take my 8 inch round layers and cut them in 1/2 to make 4 layers...do i need to dowel that then?....and is that possible without making it slope or fall or slide during transport?
I assume i use a dam with each layer and then fill?

i am covering with MMF by the way...
many thanks in advance for you help and patience!!!
icon_smile.gif
MARIANNE

5 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:51am
post #2 of 6

If it's only one tier you don't need dowels. Just make sure you have a STIFF dam of buttercream, so much powdered sugar you can almost roll it into a rope. I've also been doing a small 1-2" dot in the center of the cake just to make sure it doesn't smoosh out and stays nice and even. I always cut 2 layers into four, you shouldn't have a problem. icon_smile.gif

lolobell Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:59am
post #3 of 6

thank you so much!!

not sure what you meant by 1-2" dot in the center...sorry, i'm sure it's right in front of me...but i don't understand..

icon_smile.gif

thanks!

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:04am
post #4 of 6

I think they meant a spot of the same buttercream you used to make your dam in the center of each layer along with the filling to ensure adequate support. =)

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:05am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobell

i wanted to take my 8 inch round layers and cut them in 1/2 to make 4 layers...do i need to dowel that then?

As long as your 8" round layers aren't any taller than 2" tall apiece, you should be good to go.

If they are 3" tall layers, the basic rule is to use supports for every 4" of cake height, so you would use supports in the middle of the tier or layer cake.

lolobell Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:33am
post #6 of 6

AHHH, i see!!!!! i get it now!!!! LOL

thank you soo much!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%