Green Tea Cupcakes

Baking By Cealy Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm by Cealy

Cealy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:32am
post #1 of 10

I have seen green tea cupcakes on the gallery but haven't found a recipe.
Does anyone have one or can explain do you add ground green tea to the mix and the frosting, or is it liquid green tea?

HELP?
C

9 replies
psmith Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:47am
post #2 of 10

I was wondering the same thing. I think the tea could be a powder green tea like the kind that is sold for making Boba Tea (aka Bubble Tea). I would love to get my hands on a recipe (both cake and frosting) too. icon_biggrin.gif

warchild Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:06am
post #3 of 10

Its Matcha tea you want, a Japanese tea that comes in leaf form or powder form. You need the powder for baking. Its a deep green color and makes your cupcakes or cake look quite lovely. Check the link below, theres a recipe for Matcha tea cupcakes or mini cakes, as they're called on the link.
I have not tried the recipe, it was quicker to find this one on google for rather than to go through my far too messy recipe file. Theres quite a few different recipes on google for Matcha tea cakes or cupcakes if you do a quick search. Try google images too as images will show you what the finished recipe looks like and what website the image is from.
HTH.

http://dayrecipe.com/2009/10/09/fancy-matcha-mini-cakes/

psmith Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 10

Thank you! Thank you! I've wanted to try these!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LindaF144a Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

Its Matcha tea you want, a Japanese tea that comes in leaf form or powder form. You need the powder for baking. Its a deep green color and makes your cupcakes or cake look quite lovely. Check the link below, theres a recipe for Matcha tea cupcakes or mini cakes, as they're called on the link.
I have not tried the recipe, it was quicker to find this one on google for rather than to go through my far too messy recipe file. Theres quite a few different recipes on google for Matcha tea cakes or cupcakes if you do a quick search. Try google images too as images will show you what the finished recipe looks like and what website the image is from.
HTH.

If you make the recipe on this site, do NOT add baking powder to self-rising flour. The flour already has leavening in it.

I would also not use margarine, but butter instead.

Switch to whole milk instead of skim. I used skim once in a recipe and it was not good.

Do you see all the holes in the cupcake on the site? That is a result of too much leavening. I'm surprised they didn't sink from all the leavening.

If you don't use self-rising flour, use the 1.5 tsp of baking powder.

Personally I would find a tried and true vanilla recipe. Omit the vanilla extract and add the tea and lemon. And use the creaming method.

This is one of those recipes that someone gets from the internet, it doesn't work and then people come here and want to know what they did wrong. They did nothing wrong, the recipe is wrong.

Good luck. I've been meaning to try a matcha tea cupcake. I have tried matcha tea on it's own and I found I didn't like it. Maybe the sweetness of a cupcake would be different.

Cealy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you very much for all your help!
I will make sure to stop into the Asian Grocery Store next time I go by it!
Thanks again,
C

warchild Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Quote:
Originally Posted by warchild

HTH.

If you make the recipe on this site, do NOT add baking powder to self-rising flour. The flour already has leavening in it.

I would also not use margarine, but butter instead.

Switch to whole milk instead of skim. I used skim once in a recipe and it was not good.

Do you see all the holes in the cupcake on the site? That is a result of too much leavening. I'm surprised they didn't sink from all the leavening.

If you don't use self-rising flour, use the 1.5 tsp of baking powder.

Personally I would find a tried and true vanilla recipe. Omit the vanilla extract and add the tea and lemon. And use the creaming method.

This is one of those recipes that someone gets from the internet, it doesn't work and then people come here and want to know what they did wrong. They did nothing wrong, the recipe is wrong.

Good luck. I've been meaning to try a matcha tea cupcake. I have tried matcha tea on it's own and I found I didn't like it. Maybe the sweetness of a cupcake would be different.

My goodness, the recipe and photo were simply an example. As for the recipe ingredients, I missed the addition of baking powder and salt with the self rising flour as I did not read it through. Other than that, if they are omitted, the recipe should be fine.

If the OP omits the self rising flour alltogether, and uses all purpose flour and the remaining ingredients as listed, it should work fine also. Especially for a first trial recipe, since matcha tea tends to be a like, or do not like product.

Margarine will never be butter, you will not have that extra richness & flavor, but it is still a suitable substitute for butter if one cannot afford to bake with butter. Skim milk will work fine also. Whole is richer of course, but in the end, either one will work in a simple cupcake recipe.
As for holes in cakes, they can also be caused from undermixing, overmixing, an oven thats too hot, and many times from improper distribution of the levening with the dry ingredients, as well as too much levening.

LindaF144a Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 10

You said exactly everything I said. Why you felt the need to say the same thing with different words, I don't understand. But you do not need to explain either.

The process used to mix the batter, along with the addition of leavening to self-rising flour is what is giving the appearance in the cupcake. If you do the suggestions I said above and use a creaming method, you will get a cupcake that does not look like a muffin, which this one does. And probably tastes tough too.

My message was to help the OP in heading off a disaster. It was not intended to say that you made the wrong suggestion. I have spent far too much time perfecting the art of making cupcake recipes for my pending business operation; and writing on this website explaining to people what is wrong with a recipe. I do it here preemptively and it seemed to upset you. And this is why I don't volunteer information any more. It's not worth it for someone to misinterpret it and think it is a personal affront to them.

warchild Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

You said exactly everything I said. Why you felt the need to say the same thing with different words, I don't understand. But you do not need to explain either.

The process used to mix the batter, along with the addition of leavening to self-rising flour is what is giving the appearance in the cupcake. If you do the suggestions I said above and use a creaming method, you will get a cupcake that does not look like a muffin, which this one does. And probably tastes tough too.

My message was to help the OP in heading off a disaster. It was not intended to say that you made the wrong suggestion. I have spent far too much time perfecting the art of making cupcake recipes for my pending business operation; and writing on this website explaining to people what is wrong with a recipe. I do it here preemptively and it seemed to upset you. And this is why I don't volunteer information any more. It's not worth it for someone to misinterpret it and think it is a personal affront to them.

Did not take it as a personal affront. Its the manner of your message that was offputting. "Do it this way, don't use this or that inferior ingredient the recipe suggests, or you'll fail." "The reason the cupcake looks the way it does is because of this reason."

I simply tried to "speak" in a kinder manner. And to assure the OP that there really is options, that its not all black and white, that it is possible to use margarine & skim milk and still have a tasty cupcake or cake. And most important, that there is more than one reason behind holes in cakes or cupcakes other than too much levening.

I've been baking for a good 50 yrs and there was a time when money for the luxuries such as butter and regular milk was simply not there. Margarine and govt subsidized skim milk powder was our daily 'butter and milk' for some years. Believe me, a cake recipe can turn out pretty darn good made those two ingredients.

Cealy Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 11:12pm
post #10 of 10

WOW!!!
Once again, thanks so much for posting the recipe link! I greatly appreciate it!

I know what you mean about affordability, sometimes margarine that tastes as close to butter is as good as it is going to get and I for one will use it! Specially when I am paying almost $5.50 a lb for unsalted butter!

It was nice that some of the issues were clarified before I read the recipe; good thing I know how to bake so I can use my own judgement as to what and how I am going to use items in my baking.

All I really wanted to know was the type of tea used and that was answered so Thank you once again! On to a new topic ladies!
C

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%