Best Way To Color Mmf Dark Brown?

Baking By bricker Updated 14 Apr 2011 , 4:04am by hobbymommy

bricker Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:16am
post #1 of 11

Hi Everyone,

I will be making a 5 tier camo wedding cake in May and I would like to know what the best way is to color white fondant a dark brown? I tried coloring a small test piece and it took alot of brown gel color and it still didn't get a really dark brown.

10 replies
Gerle Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:35am
post #2 of 11

Could you add chocolate candy melts to the MMF? Sugar Sweet Cakes and Treats' blog, I believe, made MMF using candy melts to color it red; seems like it would work with the dark chocolate, too. At least that way it wouldn't require quite as much coloring. Just a thought. I tried it with milk chocolate candy melts and it turned out a really nice brown. Wouldn't have taken much to darken it, but it turned out the color I was looking for so left it alone. And I loved the chocolate taste it gave it, too.

bricker Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 11:59am
post #3 of 11

Thanks, Gerle. I have never heard of doing that before. I will try it and see how it turns out!

momg9 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 11

When I'm coloring the whole batch of fondant, I add the color to the liquid (or marshmallows after heating) before mixing it in with the powdered sugar. It colors more evenly that way.

mamabaer Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 11

I use black and brown to get a dark brown, but it still takes a lot of color. It makes the fondant too soft to work with. I like the candy melt idea. I'll have to try that.

tigachu Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:41am
post #6 of 11

I think adding the candy melts would work, too. Let us know how it works out!

stampinron Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 1:12am
post #7 of 11

I don't often have candy melts on hand but I do always have semi-sweet chocolate chips. I add 6 ounces to one batch of MMF and I get a good brown base. Then I add brown or a red-green combo to get the color and darkness I desire. Just watch out for chocolate allergies, it is very common.

cheatize Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 6:07am
post #8 of 11

I replace some of the powdered sugar with Hershey's dark cocoa and then add coloring from there. BTW: bittersweet chips are darker brown than either milk or semi-sweet chips.

CupQuequito Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:19am
post #9 of 11

Melting chocolate a great base for brown. And (if needed) then adding black to it, to get a deep black, without using 5,000 thingys of gel coloring. >.<

bricker Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 10:39am
post #10 of 11

Wow, thanks for all these suggestions! I will make some practice ones in a week or so and let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

hobbymommy Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 4:04am
post #11 of 11

I always substitute a little of my powdered sugar with Hershey's special dark cocoa (about 3/4 c). This comes out VERY DARK brown for me. I love doing it this way, too, to get a black color because I don't need to add nearly as much black once I already have the dark brown for the base color. Best of luck, however you choose to do it!

Mom to Maddy (11, HLHS), Natalie (6, healthy), Neveah (3, Kidney TX 8/12/10), & 1 Angel (m/c on 11/15/0icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%