Working Interview,eek, I Need Feedback

Decorating By kristen81 Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 12:22am by Unlimited

kristen81 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:08am
post #1 of 4

Not sure which forum to put this in, so sorry if it's wrong
I've talked with this local baker and gave her a portfolio of things I've done. She is now ready to hire someone and I'm pretty much hired, but it's still not a done deal. Tomorrow I go in and do a real clients cake. I know it is a half sheet cake and red stripes were requested. (she is by herself and could not talk any further) My questions are... Given a different environment then my kitchen what do I need to be aware of trying to ice the cake? I know crumb coat and the final coat. I'm just nervous and don't want to have my hands shake frosting everywhere. Plus she mentioned doing the stripes in fondant and the rest in buttercream. How do you secure the fondant decorations to buttercream so they don't fall off?
I can't get the search to work. I'm sorry if this is a repeat ?

3 replies
Unlimited Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:25am
post #2 of 4

First of all, relax. If you're too nervous to get a sheet cake iced, you might blow your opportunity to show what you might have to offer.

I'd start by asking to use the handwashing sink, if she doesn't mention it first. Most productive bakeries don't crumb coat their cakes, but since it sounds like she's a one woman show (by herself when you talked), she might allow it. Ask if she typically uses a crumb coat, or if she wants you to ice it all in one shot. (Practice beforehand, just in case/if you've never tried.) Hopefully, she'll have an excellent buttercream recipe that's easy to work with.

Let her know that you're teachable and open to learning how she wants things done, and ask questions if you aren't sure about anything.

Good luck!

kristen81 Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for the reply. The cake couldn't have gone any smoother. I came in with my sketchbook of three designs. I got the job, so this is very exciting!

Unlimited Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:22am
post #4 of 4

CONGRATULATIONS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%