Electric Oven Disaster

Decorating By Lexygirl14 Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 4:54am by SammieB

Lexygirl14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lexygirl14 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 4

just wondering if anyone else has had this problem... i had to make a baptism pillow cake 4 my nephew due on a sunday... now giving the fact that i lived so far away from the venue... I decided 2 go 3 days earlier & stay at my mom's which was 10 mins away from venue... so day b4 I get ready and make 2 8"round cakes but both came out very crispy n hard on outside and when i tried 2 carve it crumbed 2 pieces... then i tried again & made 2 more with the same results....

now I was using an electrical oven (which I have a gas oven in my own house) could this have been the problem???? as a week prior I had made a pillow cake for an even 4 my daughter n it came out fine when baked at my house....

3 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:53am
post #2 of 4

Yes, I would say it was a difference in ovens. Every oven is different. Best thing to do if you have to bake in an unfamiliar oven is to get used to using an oven thermometer so you know what temperature you actually bake at, then take it along so you can heat the oven to the right temperature.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:31am
post #3 of 4

Even at the same temperature ovens can cook differently. I use a convection oven and it has high or low fan settings. It browns quicker at high fan, and slower at low fan, yet it stays the same temp no matter what setting it's on. When cooking with an unfamiliar oven I generally set it lower than normal and if it's cooking slow turn it up. I find that's better then having it cook too quick and ending up with a crispy crust and undercooked insides. Cooking slower helps with doming too so there is no harm in starting slower and turning it up if need be. Hope you got it figured out in time for your nephews baptism!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:54am
post #4 of 4

JMHO, anything that small I probably would have baked beforehand in an oven I am familiar with and frozen then transported. I ran into something similar even though they were both electrics. My mom's oven has a much smaller cavity than mine, bakes at higher temps than what you would expect, and way over cooked banana pound cake. Fortunately it was just a family dinner! I learned my lesson.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%