Last Cake Standing

Lounge By jemini1 Updated 13 May 2011 , 3:32pm by kakeladi

jemini1 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 52

Did anybody watch Last Cake Standing Sunday night? Just wondered what everyone thought!

51 replies
hollys_hobby Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 52

I watched it! I was so sad with who went home, she could have won the whole thing!

hodl Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 52

I was thinking about it today and don't agree with who went home either. I would prefered for this particular contest to have contestants cake work, artistry, etc... rather than the format of "team work". While I was watching the episode it did not feel like it had that much content for the most part. I would have prefered each cake artist to produce a cake and maybe challenge them along the way in different styles, creativity, and techniques. At least for this particular kind of competition. It does not makes too much sense to me to have a cake artist eliminated before having completing a unique creation of her own. Maybe the "team challenges" could have been graded in terms of points to be accumulated but not to eliminate someone. I am looking forward to see the second episode with more emphasis more variety of cake artistry/talent.

Cookingkimber Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 52

I agree...I thought she did a great job and could of won the whole thing, I find myself wishing that they would change the rules after i see the outcome.

hodl Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 52

I truly feel like I missed Kaylee's work (if I remember her name correctly). I also enjoy Orlando's work but separated from Jgor because of how different their styles are and how different they approach a cake. Needless to say I kept waiting and waiting for Marina's and Jason's creation...that is about half of the contestants presented!!!! I will continue watching the episode(s) but definitely hope for more substance.

theresaf Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 52

I am always drawn to these shows but disappointed. It's as if the people on these shows don't know what they are getting into because there is always someone who doesn't understand the challenge, or that you can't take a break or that they don't speak up for themselves and take on a diva (or divo!) attitude. Not to mention the crying that often accompanies it! Maybe it's the TV editing but if you don't want to be critiqued, maybe this is not the show for you. Still I like to see the final products! But I prefer a show like Cake Boss for ideas!

Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 52

I know I feel the same, I have seen some of her work before and she is great! Maybe they will bring her bacl sometime in the future to mix things up like they do on other shows, we can only cross our fingers XX

dchockeyguy Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 52

I think it's a tough call on who should have gone home. I think Keegan got to the essence of the issue when he talked about artistry vs. what the challenge called for. And then you have to figure out who's fault it was. One thing I've learned from many seasons of Project Runway is that the team lead/captain often gets sent home.

Crazboutcakes Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 52

I know I feel the same, I have seen some of her work before and she is great! Maybe they will bring her bacl sometime in the future to mix things up like they do on other shows, we can only cross our fingers XX

Elcee Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 52

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting kind of tired of seeing the same faces over and over. There are more than just a handful of very talented cake decorators out there...let's see some more of them! There was just one new face.

CWR41 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemini1

Did anybody watch Last Cake Standing Sunday night? Just wondered what everyone thought!

I'll tell my thoughts, if you tell yours!

I'm pretty sure I watched all of the episodes in Season 1; episode 1: Personal Best Cakes, 2: Elopement Cakes, 3: Extreme Superhero Cakes, 4: Sweet 16 Sextuplets.

In Season 2, I was excited to see that Nikita "Nikki" Jackson from Texas was appearing in her first competition. (She's known for the controversial life-size bride cake.) I was disappointed to learn that she had a bad attitude about performing work of any kind... I mean, if you've filled out the application to be on a challenge show, you should expect to have some hard work in front of you without complaining about the simple tasks assigned to you, and without walking off the set for a break. I hope she loses the attitude soon.

I'm sure that many of us are familiar with the work from many of the other competitors; Jörg, Marina, Orlando, Jason, Joshua, Richard, and Kaysie Lackey (winner of the Topsy Turvy Cake Contest on Cake Central).

Good luck to all of them. Who are you rooting for?

jemini1 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:12am
post #12 of 52

I agree with everyone! Sometimes the challenges are too dumb for words and don't showcase the real talent here. Did anyone else think Richard threw Kasey under the bus during judging?. I never once heard him say "stop working on the tree and work on the monster"--unless it was edited out to provide drama (what!? no!!).We shall see.

FlourPots Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:50am
post #13 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemini1

Did anyone else think Richard threw Kasey under the bus during judging?

Yes! That's exactly what I said out loud while watching it with a friend!
Kasey remained a class act till the end though, I was impressed.

I'm rooting for Joshua.

How great was it to see Mary there...love her!

CWR41 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:33am
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

How great was it to see Mary there...love her!

Yes! Mary Maher, the winner of the first season.

I'm anxious to see who the other "guest judges" will be in each episode.

ilikeitdark Posted 11 Apr 2011 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 52

YES...I too thought Richard threw Kasey under the bus...in fact, I think he was extremely rude and unprofessional even changing his story once he was in front of the judges.

But NOTHING tops last night's episode when they actually kept him even though his entire cake fell over! The FN should be ashamed of themselves!!! Not that I am a fan of Nikki, but those judges really have some nerve keeping Richard in this competition when he didn't even have a cake standing in the end. Hello people...Last Cake STANDING...guess it should be called First Cake to Fall!

The other thing that also bothered me a lot about Richard is that he is always blaming someone else for his mistakes....on the first episode, it was HIS design that lost them the team challenge. In the 2nd episode, he and his assistant were BOTH having a difficult time lifting his super heavy cake but what's the first thing he said when his cake fell over--he turned to his assistant and said "I didn't know the cake was too heavy for you." I mean, REALLY Richard Ruskell??? I thought you were much more of a professional but I think this competition is showing your true colors.

All I can say is, I can't wait to see how this season unfolds but Mr. Ruskell sure got lucky the first 2 episodes. It sure must be nice to be given two free passes...time to work and start to prove why you are even in this competition because so far I am extremely not impressed.

jemini1 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:38pm
post #16 of 52

I totally have to agree with 'ilikeitdark', I've been very disappointed in Richard's behavior the last 2 weeks; and to not even have a cake at the end-to stay just because he performed better on stage? That's not what the competition is supposed to be about! It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I'm rooting for Joshua myself. I always enjoyed watching him on the Challenges even when he was Jason's assistant. He kept that team together and when Jason faltered, Josh calmed him down and got him back on track. And maybe they ought to switch up the judges a bit, too. Talk about tired of seeing the same old faces! I know we want to see newer faces as competitors, but poor Nikki didn't seem to have a chance never having competed in anything before. Fun, Fun, Fun!

Karen421 Posted 12 Apr 2011 , 5:59pm
post #17 of 52

I was really glad to read that others felt the same way I did! I also thought Richard threw Kasey (hope I spelled that correctly) under the bus! It really surprised me! Then, not to have a cake to judge and still not go home? icon_surprised.gif Hummmmm Oh well - watch and wait and see!!! icon_smile.gif

afisher Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:20am
post #18 of 52

Hear, Hear! Richard was truly unprofessional and dishonest at the judges table in episode 1. I thought his cake going down in episode 2 would have sent him home for sure....but no...it didn't even meet the 3' height limit! When I watch the promos for upcoming episodes and see Marina wading through a pool of water with her cake above her head, I ask myself...what does this have to do with decorating a cake? Where's the skill? I'm also tired of seeing trashy cakes palmed off as "Artistic expression". There are some great cake artists in this bunch, let's see them work a building a great cake, not performing circus acts!

afisher Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:21am
post #19 of 52

Hear, Hear! Richard was truly unprofessional and dishonest at the judges table in episode 1. I thought his cake going down in episode 2 would have sent him home for sure....but no...it didn't even meet the 3' height limit! When I watch the promos for upcoming episodes and see Marina wading through a pool of water with her cake above her head, I ask myself...what does this have to do with decorating a cake? Where's the skill? I'm also tired of seeing trashy cakes palmed off as "Artistic expression". There are some great cake artists in this bunch, let's see them work a building a great cake, not performing circus acts!

Mb20fan Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:04pm
post #20 of 52

At any rate...I was glad to see that "Nikki" lady go home. She just seemed too far out of her league. She had no passion, no drive and no professionalism. I mean, how many 'breaks' does one need when they aren't even working hard? Image

dchockeyguy Posted 14 Apr 2011 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 52

I think "Last Cake Standing" is really the wrong arena for your first live challenge.

Karen421 Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 12:47pm
post #22 of 52

I agree, but I do think she has a lot of talent. She just jumped into the deep end, without getting her feet wet first. thumbs_up.gif

Mb20fan Posted 15 Apr 2011 , 2:39pm
post #23 of 52

I have no doubt that she has some talent, but I don't think she's ready for this caliber of talent and there's nothing humbling about her attitude. It's her disposition that makes me not want to cheer her on. JMO.

ilikeitdark Posted 16 Apr 2011 , 1:40am
post #24 of 52

Well...can't wait for this Sunday's episode (50th Anniversary of Marvels Fantastic Four). Excited to see what my favs make for this one--hopefully FN doesn't mess with their heads too much since this is about making cake, right? But, this competition has yet to be about cake and the artistry it takes to make one...I guess that's why Richard Ruskell is still in at this point, huh???

jemini1 Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:11am
post #25 of 52

Well, I think Sunday's show was a no brainer. Richard's team did 2 Hulk cakes with some other characters and Josh's team did 5 characters! Richard did stand up and take responsibility this time, which I was glad to see. A big money prize sure does seem to bring out the worst in people, though; I don't know why that surprises me, but I just imagined all these folks would act more professionally and be more mature. I've never done anything like this show, so can't really say from personal experience what's it's like. Onward to Vegas!

ilikeitdark Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #26 of 52

I have to say just how shocked I was at Orlando's behavior on the last show and can't believe how rude he was to Marina and even Jason for that matter. He already looked like a complete jerk in the beginning of the show when he said he didn't trust or like either of them. I mean, how full of yourself can you be to say something like that about two well-respected cake designers on national television?!?! Marina showed true class by constantly reminding Orlando that it was a "team" effort and not a my cake, your cake thing. Can't wait for next week!!!

drakegore Posted 21 Apr 2011 , 4:52pm
post #27 of 52

I am disappointed in this season's show because it seems like cake artistry and skills are NOT the criteria for being judged and eliminated (or kept). I am also saddened to see some of my cake idols portrayed negatively...I hope that is just editing and not how they really are, but real or edited it is hard to watch them behave badly.

jemini1 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:55am
post #28 of 52

"I have to say just how shocked I was at Orlando's behavior on the last show"
yeah, that's what I was talking about--very unprofessional. I know i get crabby when I get tired, but really?
"I hope that is just editing and not how they really are, but real or edited it is hard to watch them behave badly."
So true----tv does like drama and if it isn't really there, they'll do their darndest to create it! It will be hard to look at some of these people the same after this though....
I wish they'd just have them work individually and make the best cake they can and then we'd see everyone's real talent. These team efforts are for the birds!

jemini1 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:57am
post #29 of 52

yeah, that's what I was talking about--very unprofessional. I know i get crabby when I get tired, but really?
"I hope that is just editing and not how they really are, but real or edited it is hard to watch them behave badly."
So true----tv does like drama and if it isn't really there, they'll do their darndest to create it! It will be hard to look at some of these people the same after this though....
I wish they'd just have them work individually and make the best cake they can and then we'd see everyone's real talent. These team efforts are for the birds!

jemini1 Posted 22 Apr 2011 , 3:57am
post #30 of 52

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%