Making A Quilt, How To?????

Decorating By sarahkate80 Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm by aprilismaius

sarahkate80 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make a bed cake for my grandmother's 90th birthday. My family wants me to put one of her quilts on it. How do I do this? Do I cut each little piece and patch it together? If so, how? HELP ME!!!

8 replies
KarenOR Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 9

I guess it depends what it looks like. I would probably do it in white and then paint it.
You can use the tool that looks like stitching when you roll it over a surface.

SammieB Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 9

I would probably choose the simplest quilt she has! The more elaborate the fabric, the harder it will be to detail. Shapes are easy enough to paint, or even cut out of fondant, but the little details on fabric prints would be pretty hard to mimic I would think.

If it were me (and I'm a total novice and this may sound INSANE to some of you), I'm not confident enough in myself to paint the whole thing, or patch on the cake itself. I would probably roll out a big piece of white fondant, and then add cutouts of the shapes in various colors on top, and pattern it like a quilt. Then I would go over it with my fondant roller and smoosh (very technical term) it flat very easily so the patches were all even. Then I would roll it over my roller and transfer to the cake. I wouldn't try to make it completely flat on the cake either, but leave it slightly rumpled and draped off the cake edge so it looked more like fabric. Maybe I'm crazy, but I have had luck before doing something on a much smaller scale to add detail instead of having it sit on top of the other fondant.

Edited for spelling icon_smile.gif

sarahkate80 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks, guys, pray for me on this one!!

bakingkat Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:10am
post #5 of 9

SammieB's idea sounds like what I would do, but after smooshing it run over the lines with the stitching wheel to give it more of a quilted look. Good luck, post pictures!

satish Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 9:03am
post #6 of 9

Hello,
This is birthday cake which i have made on my grandmother birthday .she like it. Hope your grandmother will like it.

Ingredients

* 2 eggs
* 140g Butter
* 160g sugar
* 225g Flour (self raising)
* 50g cocoa powder
* ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
* ICING
* 300g icing sugar
* 2 tbsp cocoa powder
* 1 tbsp Butter
* 3 tbsp Water
* 150g chocolate

Method

* 1. Preheat oven to 180C

2. Grease the base of the tin 18x28cm

3. Mix butter and sugar till fluffy

4. Add the eggs and beat well

5. Sieve flour , cocoa and bicarb and add to the butter mixture

6. Pour into cake tin and bake for 35 mins -

7. Leave to cool and meanwhile mix all the icing ingredients together and when cool - ice the cake!

aprilismaius Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 9

when i did my quilted cake board for a baby shower cake (in my gallery), i embossed and cut each piece individually.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1956915

sweetideas Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 9

APRILSMAIUS, your cake is really adorable! This might be a stupid suggestion: can you take a picuture of the quilt, enlarge it, then go to walmart or someone who has an edible icing imager and make it that way?

aprilismaius Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 9

yes, i think you can. i would take pictures, fit as many as you can on a page, take it to your local cake decorating shop and have them print them on to the edible paper. i would cut them out, and then apply it them to the fondant. you'll have to work quickly, but that would work. then maybe overpipe for some texture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%