Mmf - Does It Harden?

Decorating By dmackcakegirl Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm by dmackcakegirl

dmackcakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmackcakegirl Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 6

OK, so I've never made MMF before, embarrassed to say that I've always used store bought rolled fondant. To save some money I've been thinking I'll try and make the MMF myself. It seems from reading the recipes even highly rated ones that it doesn't harden? Is that true, or am I not understanding. Does it stiffen enough to make bows? Or do I need to add Gum-tex, if so, is there a ratio of Gum-tex to fondant to use? Is it sticky just on the cake? Or does get hard like rolled fondant? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.

5 replies
sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 6

For sculpting I would use a the gum/fon mixture. But yeah it does harden. If it's not kept airtight it will harden up. =]

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 6

The MMF will harden but it takes several days. I used for my light pink cake with zebra ribbon and I think I made the bow like 2-3 days beforehand. I just put some rolled up paper towels in the loops to keep them in the right shape. They were stiff enough to hold their shape but still pretty flexible.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1857954/1857955
For the loop bow on my pink and yellow cake I added some Gum-tex to the MMF and made the loops for the bow about 5 days beforehand. I think I added maybe a teaspoon to about 1/4 batch of the MMF. I couldn't find anything that said how much to add so I just guessed. It defintely hardened a lot faster with the Gum-text. I made the mistake of leaving my loops to dry under a clear cake stand lid though and they got really faded by the light, so make sure to put them in a dark place.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1981503
Hope this helps!

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 6

I use MMF for everything and it definitely hardens. I never use tylose or any other type if hardening agent and have had no problems with it. You need to keep it stored in zip lock bags and it freezes too.

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 6

I myself am a newbie... I am actually taking the wilton course now.. Ive worked with both mmf and store bought...I find mmf not to be the same consistancy as the store bought.. But yeah it does get hard and if ur making it and its sticky it means it needs more sugar.. If u leave it out it will get hard just like any fondant.. If ur going to make bow or figuers u should add gum paste only cuz it helps dry faster...

dmackcakegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmackcakegirl Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%