Question About Smbc

Baking By gimmesugar Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm by gimmesugar

gimmesugar Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 6

I've heard of people beating their butter until it's fluffy, then adding it to the meringue once it reaches stiff peaks. I've also heard of people adding butter by the cubes into the meringue. Anyone know what the difference is? I'm thinking that beating your butter beforehand will lighten it up and make your SMBC less yellow-ish, but want someone to confirm that icon_smile.gif.

5 replies
Kellbella Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 6

I've never heard of that but sounds like something I may have to try. I'm curious about what others may think about it.

tigachu Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 6

I am curious about this too icon_biggrin.gif . I always add the butter in chunks and the end result is always very light and silky icon_lol.gif

aprilismaius Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 6

i used to add my butter in chunks. i no longer do this. i beat the butter separately until it is light and fluffy and then add it to the meringue. i have found the beaten butter is incorporated MUCH better with the meringue versus the chunks.

KoryAK Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

See, I'm the opposite. I used to whip the butter first as I learned in school but realized that I was getting the same result in the end so I skipped the labor-intensive step to save time

gimmesugar Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

Butter tends to get more pale as you beat it, so I figured it might make the end result more pale and more closer to white than yellow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%