Princing Out A Desset Tray Question

Decorating By nhbaker Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm by indydebi

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 2

I have a client that has asked if I could make a tray of desserts for a rehearsal dinner. She's open to suggestions for items but does specifically want mini red velvet whoopie pies, maybe some mini cupcakes, cookies, etc. for about 100 people.

Because my main focus has always been on cakes I don't have a clue how to price something like this out. I know from culinary classess that I took ages ago that it would be about 3 pieces per person for bite-size desserts.

Has anyone had experience with this and would you price it out by the person or the piece? Say I made 300 pieces and charged a $1 each -- $300 doesn't seem like a whole lot of money for all that work.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

1 reply
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 2

Debi's Rule: "1/4 the size means 4 times the price."

small food is WAY more work than "regular" food, so there's a higher labor cost involved. At $1 per piece, you're charging $3/person. Nope. At LEAST $5.95/person AND list that the price covers "Approximately 3 pieces per person."

Remember ..... our most expensive "ingredient" is not the flour and eggs, its our time, talent and labor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%