Real Ribbon On A Buttercream Cake

Decorating By wdsanders21 Updated 8 Apr 2011 , 5:41pm by ajwonka

wdsanders21 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 13

I need help with this. Unless I'm using black ribbon, the oils from the buttercream soak through my real ribbon on the sides of cakes. How do you prevent this? Is there a certain type of ribbon to use or do you back your ribbon with something to prevent this soak through? I have tried backing with clear tape but it still soaks through from top edge. Or are all those cakes I have seen just covered in fondant and dont have to worry about it? Thanks for any advice.

12 replies
sechrestloans Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 13

when I use real ribbon on buttercream I do one of two things, I rub crisco on the back end covereing all of it and stick it on the cake, this way the color is even, or I run the ribbon through water then take my two fingers and run the ribbon through them to remove excess water and stick it on cake. the ribbon color will be darker when doing these but the color is even and no grease stains show through. Since you are using black, the darker color wont be an issue icon_biggrin.gif

wdsanders21 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks. Im not actually using black all the time. I just know I dont have the problem with black and I do with all other colors. Thanks for the great tips!!!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 13

I spray Pam on the ribbon... same concept as sechrestloans.

cowie Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 13

I take packing clear tape and line the back of the ribbon. Works GREAT!

EdieP Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 13

I also use clear packing tape, works great.

indydebi Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 13
Originally Posted by sechrestloans

when I use real ribbon on buttercream I do one of two things, I rub crisco on the back end covereing all of it and stick it on the cake,

same here.

My icing is also a great crusting icing, so usually when I put the ribbon on, the icing has crusted so there's no moisture on the icing to soak into the ribbon. It was only when I was doing it last minute that I had to use to the crisco trick.

carmijok Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 13

If I use a ribbon that I think will show through I put a strip of wax paper behind the ribbon. You can do this several ways, you can use double stick tape to attach the strip or you can put the wax paper strip on the cake first, then put your ribbon around that, or I've also used Press 'n Seal as backing instead of double sided tape to attach.

KoryAK Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 13

I'm a Pammer!

christiecando Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 13

So glad to see this post! I've been wondering the same thing. I've never put ribbon on a cake before, but I've got a request for one. How do you attach it?

crisseyann Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 13

I have used the wax paper trick. What I did was.....iron cut-to-fit strips of the wax paper to the back of the ribbon before placing. It kind of "melts" into the fabric. It worked really well. HTH. icon_smile.gif

calicopurr Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:25am
post #12 of 13

Freezer paper works well.

ajwonka Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 13

I put wax paper behind the ribbon. Someone asked how to attach - I use melted chocolate to attach the ribbon to itself at the seam in the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%