How Much Red?

Decorating By sweetaudrey Updated 6 Apr 2011 , 1:01am by letsgetcaking

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 8

I was wondering how much Wilton 'No Taste' Red does it usually take you guys to get a bright red, red color?

I colored my MMF with red jello, let it sit overnight, added 3/4 of the little 1 oz tube of the red color, let it sit overnight, and it's still a redish pink.

7 replies
sweetaudrey Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 8

nobody willing to help me?

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 8

For bright red mmf, I add most of a jar of christmas red to the melted marshmallows and then most of a bottle to the finished product...and it still ends up looking anaemic. Sorry, I know that isn't much help, but I just buy the red, it's such a pain in the butt.

sweetaudrey Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 8

I agree. I pretty much gave up and I'm just going to paint on the red. icon_sad.gif

pardonthemess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pardonthemess Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:04am
post #5 of 8

I had the same problem with royal icing. I used (in a double batch of royal) 3/4 Christmas red (the large size), 1/2 Red-Red and a whole small thing of No Taste and it's still looks "washed out". I know for next time that a true red is impossible!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:28am
post #6 of 8

True red is indeed possible. It takes a lot of red, but keep adding the no-taste red. Let it sit a bit between additions; Then when you think you are almost there...wait a few minutes before adding more. It will darken with time.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 12:54am
post #7 of 8

Agreedof course, red is possible! (Just look at the red roses in my rose video.) You need at add a lot of food coloring, just as you would for any deep, dark, or bold color. Keep adding more color until you're satisfied with the color achieved, and if/when it darkensconsider it a bonus!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:01am
post #8 of 8

Here's something I've been wanting to try. The baker uses candy melts in her MMF, and the color looks amazing!

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%