How Far In Advance Can You Make Fondant Figures

Decorating By Redstarfalling Updated 24 Jul 2016 , 4:40pm by tinkybellcmd

Redstarfalling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redstarfalling Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 28

I'm making a cake in about 3 1/2 weeks and I wanted to try some fondant figures on top. I was hoping to do them ahead of time, but I'm not sure what's the best way to store them and how long will they keep before getting cracked or otherwise yucky. Any thoughts? Thanks!

27 replies
Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 28

I make my fondant figures & CC toppers a month in advance & some make them way before that too. Let them dry very good before you store them to prevent color bleeding & fondant becoming all gewy. Store them in an air tight container.

HTH

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 28

I've saved fondant figures for years with no problems. I do agree to let them dry well before storing them. Personally I don't store them in air tight containers, I like to store them in cardboard boxes so they can breathe.

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 28

TexasSugar, Im with you, I made mine last month, And i don`t need them till next month, After they dried I put them in a cardboard box and they are still their waiting.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 28

Be careful on storing them in a plastic container. When I first started making fondant decorations, I made them in advance and put them in a plastic container. When I opened the container a couple days later the figures I had made were sticky, shiny and had lost some of their shape. I was told then to always store them in a cardboard box so they can breathe.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 28

If they're going to crack, they generally do so within the first day or so - so don't worry about that. But especially larger pieces - as for molded animals and bodies - can take weeks to dry completely. Store in a dark place - because fondant colors fade in light, cushion your pieces with foam or crumpled saran wrap. Be very careful when you handle them.... I personally think they become more fragile with age - and make sure they have good airflow around them. Early on I had figures get gummy when I covered a tray full with just one layer of paper towels. I like to put them on a wax paper covered tray in a dark room or cupboard - no covering at all - until I use them.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

Be careful on storing them in a plastic container. When I first started making fondant decorations, I made them in advance and put them in a plastic container. When I opened the container a couple days later the figures I had made were sticky, shiny and had lost some of their shape. I was told then to always store them in a cardboard box so they can breathe.

That happened to me last month too but I didnt let them dry well before storing, now that TS mentioned the cardboard box I would definitely go with that its way safer than a plastis container icon_smile.gif

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 28

So glad you posted this...I will be trying my first fondant figure needed for the 23rd of this month...was hoping I could start soon. Thanks to all for sharing tips.

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 28

I have dogs on my windowsill from my daughter's 7th birthday. She's turning 9 soon. They are discolored from the sun, but otherwise, just the same.

bcarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcarb Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:05pm
post #10 of 28

Would these tips on storing and drying apply to gumpaste flowers as well?
thanks

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 28

The same goes for gumpaste... although the gumpaste may dry out completely a little faster.

minxie1320 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minxie1320 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 28

does that go for fondant mixed with edible cmc aswell

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 28

You can make them months in advance

1 - Mix your fondant with some gumtex powder or tylose powder. It will be much stronger
2 - prepare a container that eliminates sunlight to put your figurines in. Plan ahead if you need something to hold your figurine upright
3 - I do NOT use an airtight container. I want the figurine to dry and do not want it airtight at all. I would leave it out to dry but need to protect it against dust and sunlight. I put some rice or a desiccant pack in the bottom of the container and then raise the figurine above it to dry.

Note that certain colors - especially green, may fade. After the figurine dries completely you can fix this with a drop of gel food coloring mixed with vodka. It will not look painted on. It simply re-tints the dry fondant.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 28

The only time I ever had a problem was when I colored some fondant/gumpaste gray by mixing in a little black. Even though I kept them in a dark place, everything that was gray had turned bluish green. Has anyone else had that problem?

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 6:30pm
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird

The only time I ever had a problem was when I colored some fondant/gumpaste gray by mixing in a little black. Even though I kept them in a dark place, everything that was gray had turned bluish green. Has anyone else had that problem?

The red fades first in almost every medium, leaving the blue and the yellow+blue=green.

What was your color brand?

dawnybird Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 7:05pm
post #16 of 28

woozy,
The black fondant I used was Satin Ice.

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 6:40pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:

woozy,
The black fondant I used was .

Wow. I never thought about commercial fondants having color stability problems, I like to make my figures WAY ahead.

sunsetshells Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunsetshells Posted 25 Jul 2013 , 12:02pm
post #18 of 28
Quote:

@dawnybird, how long did it take those pieces to change color?

ACLARK11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ACLARK11 Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 1:45pm
post #19 of 28

HELP! I made the cutest figures - they looked "perfect". Then, after drying for about a week, they all started to crack beyond repair

as if the inside was expanding. I stored them in the open, didn't move them. I have a tree stump forest creatures cake to deliver in 2 weeks & I work full time, so I really need to get going on them again. ANY wisdom would be really appreciated.

dawnybird Posted 25 Aug 2013 , 2:17pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetshells 

@dawnybird, how long did it take those pieces to change color?

Oh, I'm so sorry I never answered! We went out of town and by the time we got back, I had long forgotten about this thread!  It took mine probably a week and a half. Black is a funny color that will sometimes go green, sometimes purple. I've never had a problem with any other color unless I left them in the light, in which case they faded a little.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Aug 2013 , 2:35am
post #21 of 28

how far ahead can you make fondant/fondant w-tylose/ gumpaste figures......& how to store them.  Great Thread, thanks to all.

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 12:06am
post #22 of 28

will be okay to put them in cardboard boxes and then in the fridge??

manicgeisha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manicgeisha Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:14am
post #23 of 28

I really would not put them in the fridge!   Whenever I have -leftover fondant covered cake not premade toppers- the fondant quickly becomes sticky, bendy, and bleeds.   In my last place I used to just set them in the cupboard until I needed them.

I`ve kept toppers for up to a year and they never changed.   lately I have a problem with light pinks and purples fading really quickly but the toppers themselves don`t change from when I made them.   They don`t spoil or go yucky.

Otherwise I`ve kept leftover toppers on the counter for MONTHS with no issues other than a bit of fading and some dust.  I have no idea what causes cracking, maybe your humidity is too low? or your fondant is too dry?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 1 Sep 2013 , 4:19am
post #24 of 28

I make mine at the very least a few weeks in advance, I make my flowers in bulk and they keep easily up to a year. Haven't really tried keeping them longer, they always get used up by then.

I store them in boxes and cover with tissue paper. Don't refrigerate them, and don't store them in something airtight.

Chef-girl -r-de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef-girl -r-de Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 12:31pm
post #25 of 28

AHello I noticed you're from East Texas so am I

AngandMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngandMike Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 10:08pm
post #26 of 28

So I just purchased a fondant figure through ebay, for my daughter's baby shower cake.  It's an elephant with some peanuts and will be shipped Monday, 9/28.  The baby shower isn't until October 17th, so I haven't ordered the cake just yet.  So how should I store it until then when it arrives?  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2015 , 10:51pm
post #27 of 28

Just store it at room temp somewhere dust free (a cupboard? or covered box?) until needed.  Keep it out of light and sun  to keep it from loosing color and melting. 

tinkybellcmd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinkybellcmd Posted 24 Jul 2016 , 4:40pm
post #28 of 28

Quote by @ACLARK11 on 25 Aug 2013 , 6:45am

HELP! I made the cutest figures - they looked "perfect". Then, after drying for about a week, they all started to crack beyond repair

as if the inside was expanding. I stored them in the open, didn't move them. I have a tree stump forest creatures cake to deliver in 2 weeks & I work full time, so I really need to get going on them again. ANY wisdom would be really appreciated.

Hi, I was wondering if you found any way to fix your figures?  If so, please share your tip. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%