Help With Brownie Recipe

Baking By brokenscale Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm by tigachu

brokenscale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brokenscale Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:14am
post #1 of 5

ok so i teach nutrition classes on sundays when im not working. Everyone seems to have a sweet tooth and i wanted to come up with a way to battle that. I really like the taste of met-rx fudge brownies. However they use polys as sweeteners and they just arent healthy. So i wanted to re-engineer a brownie recipe using stevia instead. Here is a link to the ingredient list http://images.vitaminimages.com/ebrands/metrx/labels/018101.pdf

the first ingredient being protein powder, second being the poly sweeteners or sugar alchohols. third is chocolate chips so im looking for a straight chocolate chip recipe where i can substitute the sugar with stevia in powder or liquid form. Any ideas on how to do this. My first batch came out so dense it wasnt even funny. It was rubbery and like chewing on a hockey puck. i used coacoa powder for that one it was blah.

4 replies
brokenscale Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 5

if any of you care i think i have the problem solved, thanks to chef caroline culver an instructor at the art institute of michigan. My protien shake mix is throuwing off the flour gluten ratio and i didnt have enough chocolate in the recipe meaning it turned out too cakey and not fudgey enough. And with all that protien being cooked it just turned to rubber. Got a great recipe from the book on baking and tweaked it. baking a batch as we speak at the kitchens in the school

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 12:38am
post #3 of 5

I am def. interested when we are talking about possibly making chocolate healthy thumbs_up.gif I normally use the whole grain brownie recipe on the king arthur flour website. I consider it "healthy" icon_biggrin.gif because I use whole wheat flour icon_wink.gif

Please let us know how your batch comes out

brokenscale Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 5

it came out just the way i intended. There are two types of brownies, cakey and fudgy, and i am a fudgy brownie type of guy...it tasted great. i will post the original recipe and the altered recipe later today

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 5

Great!! icon_biggrin.gif I am so happy to hear it came out how you expected. I am looking forward to seeing your recipe posted icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%