Any Cool Tricks For Sifting Powdered Sugar?

Baking By happycakesbysarah Updated 5 Apr 2011 , 11:41am by leily

happycakesbysarah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycakesbysarah Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:01am
post #1 of 11

I buy my sugar in bulk and it is so packed and lumpy I absolutely must sift it. I also absolutely hate standing there and shaking it through my little sifter. Has anyone found any great tricks to speed this process up or any great tools that help make this easier? Pleeeeease?!?

10 replies
sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:23am
post #2 of 11

I've read a thread about this before, the outcome...good ol elbow grease. They said that the regular sifters (metal with one long handle type) are the best, get a bigger one to do more at a time. Sorry! I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear icon_sad.gif

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:31am
post #3 of 11

I have a 5 cup rotary softer and it is FAST. I had the one with the squeeze handle and even if it hadn't broken I would have chucked it.

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:36am
post #4 of 11

Child labor. >.< I suckered my youngest in helping this past weekend. :p

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:17am
post #5 of 11

Bed Bath and Beyond has a set of three metal collanders. Take the biggest one and match it to the deepest metal mixing bowl they have. The handles on the collander should fit and keep it from falling in the bowl. Get a big metal whisk. I put the whole contraption on my scales and weigh my ps. The whisking will sift it in seconds. I then pour it in another bowl. I keep this set dry and use it for flour too.

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 5:43am
post #6 of 11

I got one of the metal sifters with the squeeze handle from walmart. Complete and total waste of money. It's complete junk. If I put more than like a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar or flour in it the rotating pieced will barely move and I end up having to bang the side of the sifter on my hand to get anything to go through. My grandmother had a really old metal one that had a hand crank thing on the side of it that turned metal loops inside. It worked great. I'm hoping it's still in her house and will be searching for it the next time I go visit my parents.

Nusi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nusi Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 6:08am
post #7 of 11

ahh i got hear hoping somebody invented something to help with this...
sifting is the only thing i absolutly hate about caking
i always made this joke with my cousin about hiering little elves or dobbys "from harry potter" to do my sifting
oohh well the wisk seems like a good idea will try it next time icon_wink.gif

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 9:33am
post #8 of 11

The team from "Cooks Illustrated" use a large food processor to pulverize their powdered sugar. They also use the processor to shred carrots for their carrot cakes.

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:06am
post #9 of 11

Professional pastry chefs use a device called a "Tamis"--it is pronounced like the woman's name Tammy. If you Google in "Tamis" you will find a few suppliers with pictures included so you know what you are getting.

They are expensive and you must have a large sheet of parchment or a very large bowl underneath to catch the sugar, but they are great tools. You will be able to process a huge amount of the powdered sugar in a much shorter time. thumbs_up.gif

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:25am
post #10 of 11

very few places carry them anymore, might be easier to find at a thrift store than a "buy it new" store; but i have one of the crank handled 5 cup sifters. that thing works like a charm. there are no gears to get jammed up like in the rotary sifters with the squeeze handle and a lot less banging than the regular sifters. lol. i love the thing! also, i found my mom one since with her arthritis, it's hard for her to squeeze the handle on her old one.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:41am
post #11 of 11

i LOVE my 8 cup hand crank sifter. Got it from amazon and it is used multiple times a day!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFTYV/?tag=cakecentral-20
they have 4 or 5 available, i just linked to the first one that came up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%