Refrigerating Batter?

Baking By VCVCCupcakes Updated 7 Apr 2011 , 1:14pm by m0use

VCVCCupcakes Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:16am
post #1 of 10

So here is a question and it could be a total fail question I really have NO clue. I am having ZERO success storing cupcakes. They are drying out no matter WHAT I do. Would I have better luck baking JUST what I need and refrigerating the batter over night??? Or is that just totally unsafe???

Any help here would be appreciated

Thanks
Cathy

9 replies
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:34am
post #2 of 10

Hi, Cathy. I don't think refrigerating is a good idea because that will affect the leavening of your cupcakes. I was taught that it's always best to BAKE your cake or cupcakes and freeze them then to try to store batter. Wrap the cupcakes tightly in saran wrap and then foil before freezing. I let them come to room temp. before frosting them and they've been good. HTH.

NanaSandy Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:44am
post #3 of 10

I refrigerate my batter and I have been known to freeze it as well. When pulled out and brought to room temperature, you can't tell the difference in the batter. The cake/cupcakes taste the same as if I just made the batter fresh. I use a doctored cake mix though, so not sure if that would make a difference?

3LittleBeesCookies Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 3:56am
post #4 of 10

Interesting. I don't know if there's a difference in freezing scratch vs. cake mix batter. icon_surprised.gif

leily Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 11:45am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LittleBeesCookies

Interesting. I don't know if there's a difference in freezing scratch vs. cake mix batter. icon_surprised.gif

I had thought there might be at one time, but have had quite a few people on CC who do only scratch cakes say that they refrigerate or freeze their batter and there are no issues.

OP - how are you storing your cupcakes? What is the process you do? or have tried?

calicopurr Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 10

There was actually an experiment down on CC. She refrigerated AND also froze her batter. There was no difference. There's even photos.

lynmn2 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 3:40am
post #7 of 10

I make my cupcakes from scratch and have tried freezing the batter. The cupcake tasted the same but the texture a little more heavier and not as fluffy and also didn't rise as much as if made fresh. SO, I started freezing my cupcakes but found that they were only good for 5 days tops. I put the cupcakes in freezer bags and when I bring them out to defrost, I leave it in the bag to defrost (locks in the moisture). Thankfully they're going pretty fast because of a promotion I'm doing but if the cupcakes turn out dry from freezing, poke holes in it and brush it with some simple syrup.

bakingkat Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:15am
post #8 of 10

There was another post about this and I think they said if it was scratch cake and it only had baking powder then it needed to be baked right away or else the leavening would be screwed up, if it had baking soda it was ok? I use half bs and half bp in my recipe and I don't have a problem refrigerating the batter for a few days.

VCVCCupcakes Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks for the ideas... I might give it a shot when I don't have a pressing order...

m0use Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 10

I refrigerate my batter and haven't had an issue.
I will note though that I use cake mix as a base and add things to it, people can't tell that it's a cake mix base. (The cake mix doctor books are THE best)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%